Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Coursera Introduction to Astronomy

sbooder

Yes, i've decided i'm just going to watch the videos; i'm not interested or gifted enough to do all the maths. The last video lecture for week two was just double dutch to me, and i switched off.

I'm hoping the rest of the lectures are interesting to my generalist mind, and not all equations.

James

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yep....the homework is a bit of a pain and to be honest i think ill just be sticking to the course for knowledge and not ant kind of certificate.

Ronin speaks a bit to fast for my liking.... pause, rewind and play again.

Bungielad.

Did you know that you can download the subtitles to each video?

I am almost up to date, I only have 2 questions to go on the week 2 homework. I am trying to get my head around how to munge the equations so that they fit the answers that they want. I have spent most of the evening on it.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I'm not quite so on the backfoot any more. I'm averaging 90% and enjoying it. Only the 12 questions of week 3B homework to do by Sunday night and I've pretty much caught up. I've put in far more than 12 hours a week though!

Frugal - I love your phrase "munge the equations"! That's exactly what I've been doing. Munging. The algebra is definitely a weak point for me (I did A-level maths 25 years ago - and even then only got an E after three years!) As such, I found week 2 Newtons Universe homework really heavy going, and needed to refer a lot to the homework help forum, but week 3 stuff has been far easier. I'm really chuffed I've stayed this far.

I'm a graduate, but if I can pass this course I think it'll be my most prized 'qualification'!

Fascinating stuff in there when the Algebra Terrors recede enough to let me enjoy it. Loved the bit on rainbows and why the sky's blue.

Wish my wife was a physicist - though nurse may well be what I actually need!

Archived