NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First outing for DIY Lunar Webcam

harry1969

Having given up on seeing C/2013 S1 ISON until it rounds the sun I decided last night to try my Astro webcam conversions on the moon which was shining brightly. I'd had a Logitech C500 lying about having won it in a raffle about two years ago and never really had a use for it before. I removed it from it's spherical case and installed it in a Maplins project box complete with 35mm film canister eye piece adapter. Since then it has lain unused until last night. I pointed it at the moon and gave it a three minute run. I have attached the resulting stacked image of Theophilus. Not too bad for a first go, specially considering that it looked so wobbly during recording that I thought there was no way it was going to work. I think the undulations must have been an atrifact of the recording software as they don't look nearly as bad in the recording as they did on the screen.

post-31302-0-43399100-1385140206_thumb.j

It's a great first go and the moon can be tricky at times ,but you got a good grab,with the moon it's best to wait till it's above the horizon as the boiling moon is a pain to image ,focus is also a big thing with the moon there's lots of sharp edges ,I have a Logitech had cam that I use for showing the moon to people on a monitor I would suggest a proper adapter and a Ir/uv filter this will help no end say in that I did what you did years ago with a film canister and blue tack

Have fun with it and practice getting great focus

Pat

Archived