Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HELP: Sky-Watcher AllView Multi-Function Computerised Mount

Omnipaulus

Dear all, once more I entrust myself to your great knowledge.

I am a bit short of cash lately, but I really want a GO TO mount for my Celestron XLT 120 refractor, but I am afraid the mounts for it are beyond my budget. I saw this mount advertised: Sky-Watcher AllView Multi-Function Computerised Mount at a very good price. Would it bear the load of the refractor, though? In one place I saw a payload of 4kg advertised, somewhere else I saw 5kg. Are they playing safe or exaggerating? Would this work for me? Could you suggest any other GO TO mount that I could get at the price I saw ( £296.00)? I think a realistic weight for my refractor is 5.50kg, would that be too much for this mount? I only want a GO TO; no astrophotography or the like.

Thank you one and all.

Ps. I did see the discussion on this mount somewhere else. But I did not see a specific response to this question.

Having had a look at the Allview up close I would say you are looking at the wrong mount for your 120 , I would not want to mount anything as big as that myself they're not the strongest bits of hardware , better suited to small / medium Maks or DSLR's with telephoto lenses in my humble opinion.

The only goto for a similar cost I am aware of is the iOptron Cube A.

At present I cannot locate a weight capacity for it, I have the idea that I have read both 4.5Kg and 5.5Kg. So may just take the scope weight. Although this is said with reservations.

I think the Cube A has plastic gears and although they may take the static weight of the scope what I would be careful of is the force applied when the scope/mount slews from target A to target B. This is normally done at full rate and the torque and moment involved could I suspect cause a failure. Your scope is long and the weight is at the end, getting that lump of glass at the front moving is what I suspect could cause a failure.

While looking for the mount specifications (a failure) I did notice that the cost can vary from £299 to £345.

The alternative is simply to wait and watch the used side of things UKABS and try pick up a goto EQ5 or better.

If it's an option, even though not for the 120mm refractor,

the nexstar slt mount is on sale here (Germany) for 200€/166£, and with a small Mak or 130mm newtonian it would be cheaper (300€/250£ to 400€/333£) then a mount strong enough to carry the long refractor. I am sure uk stores match the price.

Archived