NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Barr and Stroud 10 x 56 v Strathspey 10 x 50

Bennythebrit...........I think that refers to the `Waterproof` ones, although the Marines are waterproof too. Check out Stephens site here  http://binocularsky.com/binoc_choosing.php not much he cant tell you about Binos. Even likes the Marines. The Strathspey site is calling for about £85. Again its all about choices. Whatever we recommend still might be the wrong choice in the end, but I have a good feeling about the 10 x 50 Marines :smiley:

Hi,

Are you speaking of the 10x56 standard  Savannahs or the EDs? I recently bought the EDs from FLO  and found them extremely good, very bright, crisp, resolving details that I had nver seen before through binos. Made my Visionary 10x60s look very weak. Most of the reviews I had read were from the birding sites. They are, I'm fairly certain, the same as  Hawke Prostalks and Vortex Vulture 10x56s and I could see why birders liked them. They feel solid  and are superb to handle and despite their weight were easy to steadily hold. However (always a BUT ) I had an issue with the diopter adjuster. With my specs(corrected vision) the binos were spot on, but using the diopter to correct so I can use them without (which I can usually do) I could not adjust them sufficiently. Either the diopter did not have a sufficient adjustment - or maybe it was faulty. I decided, with something of a heavy heart, to return them to FLO in exchange for WO 10x50EDs which have proved very good. FLO, as ever, were brilliant about it.

Not sure what your actual budget is - but you could check out the Pentax 10x50 PCFs, or maybe the Opticron iMagics - which get good reviews.

If you are in that price range its also worth looking at the Opticron iMagics which have good reviews:

http://www.astro-baby.com/reviews/binocular%20review/binocular%20review.htm

and also the Williams Optics 10x50ED which I now have. These are really good, but if you need binos for terrestial use too, the individual eyepeice focus (which is great for astro) makes this a bit of a chore.

If you decide on the B&Ss and need a tripod adaptor the compact nature of them does not allow room for a standard  L bracket. After some hunting around found a Bushnell one to fit OK.

http://www.microglobe.co.uk/bushnell-tripod-adapter-for-binocular-black-p-10061.html

The WO come with an adapter as part of the package.

For the same price the Porroprism should be better than the Roofprism as roofprisms (from what I've read) are more technically difficult to produce. Therefore, given that the WOs have full size prisms and objectives, are really well built, good optics, coatings etc - they should win hands down. However, in my admittedly brief time with Barr & Strouds I was quite impressed with them - apart the issue mentioned. One stange thing is that the B&Ss have a 10 year warranty and the Williams Optics only 2 years, yet the WOs are built like they will last a (long) lifetime.

• 2 weeks later...

I've bought the Barr and Stroud ED from FLO

. Very bright and crisp when used terrestrialy , been a bit cloudy up here in the north east so not had a chance to do any stargazing. Will post when I do. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Archived