NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I want to supersize!!!

Yidoboy

Its mostly in the focal length. Meaning yes you will need to increase power with a barlow. If your using a 150 mm scope  ( what it says in your sig ) then there will be limits to how much you can increase your Focal length. Mainly low light, as the light gets spread out the more we increase power. And camera gain can only go so far to increase the low light, that extra focal length creates.

Gain at 100% isn't good because of noise. I don't use more than about 90 95% And only when I have too, and that is really too high. The size of your scope will be the limiting factor. Not the barlow. What barlow were you using on the shot posted here ? Looks to me like you was using either no barlow. or a low power one.  Of course you can do a resize. But this will not bring about the quality you want.

Your scope will not be able to reach the focal lengths that a 8 or 10" scope can. Because of the light problem already mentioned. Though I do think you should be able to improve the shot posted so far. As soon as I know what you have tried already. I could advise.

Its mostly in the focal length. Meaning yes you will need to increase power with a barlow. If your using a 150 mm scope  ( what it says in your sig ) then there will be limits to how much you can increase your Focal length. Mainly low light, as the light gets spread out the more we increase power. And camera gain can only go so far to increase the low light, that extra focal length creates.

Gain at 100% isn't good because of noise. I don't use more than about 90 95% And only when I have too, and that is really too high. The size of your scope will be the limiting factor. Not the barlow. What barlow were you using on the shot posted here ? Looks to me like you was using either no barlow. or a low power one.  Of course you can do a resize. But this will not bring about the quality you want.

Your scope will not be able to reach the focal lengths that a 8 or 10" scope can. Because of the light problem already mentioned. Though I do think you should be able to improve the shot posted so far. As soon as I know what you have tried already. I could advise.

I've just used the stock Barlow which is a 2x with the SPC900n Webcam. I try not to overdo the gain too much but mess about with the brightness if possible. I tried drizzling 3x but the quality suffered massively as you said it would. I know I'm not going to be getting the same size images as some people do on here, but I'm fairly certain that I should be able to improve on what I have at the moment?

Its Been so long since I used a 6" Scope I am uncertain how much you could expect from it. Having said that I've seen some good shots with 6" Maks  So looking at your shot, I would have thought at least twice that focal length might be possible. A good thing to try which is cheap is get some tube extensions. put them between the camera and Barlow. it will increase the size of the planet captures. Aim for about twice what your doing now. Under good seeing you might pull of a much better capture. Its really just learning to push your equipment to its max that often shows in what people can achieve.

I think your focal length limit will be balancing how much gain you can get away with raising. with the fastest exposure.

No more than 90% Gain

Once your image scale under good transparency is showing you need gain quite high ( say 90% ) Then clearly you will be reaching your limit that you can increase your magnification by.

Seeing good or bad will influence your results.

As will dew mist and sky transparency.

Good transparency will be needed with a small scope. Another thing that affects your capture levels is exposure. But you don't want to be slowing the camera down, to gain light. Because it will not beat the seeing.

There has to be a balance. Which is why a lot on here are shooting at very fast exposures.

I nearly always shoot at 1/60th secs exposure. with bad trans. it can go down to 1/30th Secs. Your SPC 900 will not probably be usable at very fast exposures. its been a long while since I used one. I think I was shooting at something like 1/23 secs exposure. Faster is better. But cant be done with small scopes or poor transparency. Or when your trying to increase your focal length. For bigger Jupiters.

its all related. once you understand the relationship, between all this. You will know exactly how to get the most out of any scope you have, now or in the future. I think its about time someone  wrote a  tutorial for beginners explaining how all these things are related. And affect each other. Doing it in a way that everyone ( even complete beginners ) will grasp

May not be as easy as one might think. I might have a chat with someone on here. and see if we can come up with something. that can be used for everyone with these kinds of questions. But I have touched on a lot of it right here. Hope I am making sense. If not ask away

Archived