Where to go from here?

Hi All,

For the past 8 months I've been reacquainting myself with the night sky with my dinky little Sky-Watcher ST80 telescope. It's a brilliant little instrument that has allowed me to reconnect to my love of space.

But that time has come where I'm starting to think of where to go from here, and what to do next.

My main requirement is that I need my telescopes to be easily portable - my observing site is a good 500m down the road in the park. The ST80 can be slung over the shoulder on its mount and tripod and walked down there (Although it is surprisingly heavy) by a slight little fellow like me. The options I'm considering are:

1. To upgrade the ST80 to an ST102 or ST120. I'm not that keen on this option because I'm rather attached to the ST80. The company I bought the 'scope from will at least put the value of the current 'scope towards the cost of the new one.
  2. My preference is for Deep Sky, however a full-sized Dobsonian is completely out of the question, so I'm wondering about a mini-Dob. I am considering the Heritage 130P - anything that fits the ST80 would surely work in the 130P - because it would give me that little bit more light-gathering power. Also I think I'm right in thinking I could get more magnification from it for planets and the moon. My reservations are that it needs something to sit on to work and that in the future, if I ever wind up with a garden, a proper Dob would be the first thing I'd buy, which could make the Heritage 130P redundant. I've also seen other models like the Orion Starblast 6 which look interesting.
  3. To embrace objects that are less affected by LP and buy a Mak for planets and the moon. The Skymax 90 would fit on my EQ1 mount, but I'd kind of like something bigger, provided it's still portable. Would a Skymax 102 be alright on the EQ1 mount? I'm thinking of pushing the budget and getting a Skymax 127, but at that apeture weight becomes an issue again.

So what would be the best upgrade option? Realistically my budget can't stretch much beyond £250, but I'd be willing to go a little higher for the right 'scope or 2nd hand of course. I'm thinking this is ultimately a choice between a Mak or Heritage so I guess it boils down to whether I want to go for planets or go for more Deep Sky, I just worry that the Heritage will only be a little better for that than the ST80. I'm especially interested in thoughts on how easy these things are to lug - I don't have a car!

Thanks - I'm off to freeze to death in the park now!

DD

Read this and cannot suggest much at all.

The 102 collects just 162% of the 80, not a great increment, and I guess a corresponding increase in weight.

The 120 would collect 225% light of the 80 but again suspect also 2.25x weight, and likely to have more aberrations then you would like.

A 150P dobsonian may not be too heavy but it is not a single unit and the base is bigger then the OTA, so may not be that easy to carry.

A mak is still a fair weight and the narrow field of view is a pain in the butt.

The Starblast is I think fast, think they are f/4 or f/4.5, so you could need more costly eyepieces and have to collimate it often.

Depending on what you are willing to compromise:

Something like a 120 Evostar (longer focal length then the ST's) would be a good increment.

Equally so would the Evostar 102. Both are the same focal length I think.

Cannot see a 110mm achro at around f/8-f/10.

For a reflector the "problem" would be the 2 parts that make up a dobsonian, otherwise the 150P is the obvious if easy to carry.

Too heavy for the mount you have and a bigger mount is bigger and heavier.

I can at least comment on the Heritage 130p as I have recently purchased one.

The weight is approximately 6kg, it has a built in carry handle and as it is a single unit it is highly portable and quick to set up. I wouldn't worry too much about the scope needing something to sit on, I've had mine on an uneven patio, a patio table and even a wobbly garden bench and it was fine.

With your budget you could even get a couple of eyepieces (BSTs perhaps?). At some point I would like a monster dob myself but I would still keep the Heritage for the convenience and portability.

Hi DD, if you are reading this, then you didn't freeze to death in the park  :laugh:

It's a tough call giving advice, so easy to be swayed by what works for me.

As you need a very portable scope to carry to the park, I'd be very wary indeed of getting something heavier / larger than your ST80.   These little scopes are just brilliant for wide field views, and used with patience, can show a great deal.  They can be used on the planets, but that's not what they are the best at.

You want to know what I'd do ?   I'd get a 90mm Mak.  It would also be very portable, and work better at higher powers than the ST80.  They would complement each other nicely, you could take out the ST80 on moonless nights for wide field deep sky, or if the moon is up, or you fancy some planetary views, take the Mak, which won't give the low power wide field of the ST80.

That combo of two scopes that complement each other could keep you entertained for many years.

But as said, please be wary of taking my advice, I wouldn't rush, take your time before choosing something that suits you, not me.

Regards, Ed.

I must admit the Mak seems like a sensible option for broadening my options, and would allow me to get better views of the planets. With London's LP it seems like a sensible choice, and wouldn't break the bank. I can leave off getting hold of a Dob for when I have a garden of my own (Whenever that might be).

Having said that, I have been given the suggestion of getting hold of a Dob and a trolley to take it down to the park on. Not sure how much of my flat would then be taken up with telescope though and we have very narrow stairs, so getting it down to street level could be amusing... On this logic, I might go for a Dob for planetary work to complement my ST80 on the wide-field and DSO side of things.

DD

P.s. Wasn't too cold but my feet were freezing by the time I got home. Note to self - follow own advice and wear hiking boots next time!

I just set my 130p on the ground, but I have a low camping chair so I can sit next to it. It's awkward near zenith or the horizon, but in between I just lean forward and look through the eyepiece.

I do also carry a camping mat, and have been known to sit on the ground too.

Oh, and portability wise - it's dead easy to carry 500 yards. It's not heavy, and has a handle, as noted. By the time you add shoulder bag full of books, camping chair, and flight case with EPs in it, well, I wouldn't want to go too much further - but yeah, it'd work. And I have no problems getting out of my flat with it too.

I just set my 130p on the ground, but I have a low camping chair so I can sit next to it. It's awkward near zenith or the horizon, but in between I just lean forward and look through the eyepiece.

I do also carry a camping mat, and have been known to sit on the ground too.

Oh, and portability wise - it's dead easy to carry 500 yards. It's not heavy, and has a handle, as noted. By the time you add shoulder bag full of books, camping chair, and flight case with EPs in it, well, I wouldn't want to go too much further - but yeah, it'd work. And I have no problems getting out of my flat with it too.

I have seen the Heritage 130P in the flesh now, and it looks more than portable enough for my needs. At some point I want to modify a bag or case to carry my 'scope(s) in.

Of course for £250 I could buy both a Heritage and a 90 Mak, although I do worry about filling my flat with optics. Many on this forum would not see this is a problem though... And I have been promised a man-box after Christmas, provided I get rid of the huge carton that the ST80 was delivered in!

DD

I have seen the Heritage 130P in the flesh now, and it looks more than portable enough for my needs. At some point I want to modify a bag or case to carry my 'scope(s) in.

Of course for £250 I could buy both a Heritage and a 90 Mak, although I do worry about filling my flat with optics. Many on this forum would not see this is a problem though... And I have been promised a man-box after Christmas, provided I get rid of the huge carton that the ST80 was delivered in!

DD

Nope, no problem. There are 5 scopes in my room, the Heritage doesn't take up much of that room.

I think a 90mm Mak and a Heritage is your best bet, gives you plenty of options :)

I'd buy a dob and a sack truck with wheels that have inner tubes (so has some form of suspension/impact softening)

At 500m you can simply wheel it down the road. 

With that setup in mind I'd suggest a 200p dob :)

EDIT: Think something like this: http://www.esedirect.co.uk/p-3320-green-platform-trucks-with-mesh-sides.aspx?Source=Google&Medium=cpc&Campaign=Shopping&vatsetting=1&gclid=CMffjf3l4boCFUqWtAodxjcANw

I love the idea of the trolley / Dob combo. I get weird enough looks with an ST80 slung over my shoulder... I won't rule it out from my post-Christmas shopping spree but there are a few practical problems though; namely storing not only a huge Dobsonian telescope, but also a trolley to drag it to the park in. That and it not being great for a quick get-away when the deer attack* :grin:.

DD

*They don't really care about people with telescopes, as long as I steer clear of fawns, rutting stags and the cull!

Good idea, I've been thinking of something similar myself, but thought one of these would probably do with a strap!

Cheers

the problem with sack trollies at night is that they are rather noisy. I used to use one for a dob I borrowed. gave up after a week as it made a lot of clatter at  2am if you can find one with bearings on the wheels they make a lot of difference to the noise

Archived