1st attempt at a focal imaging

asset189

cheap as chips, camera  attached with a PH047 support a got this week. Quite encouraged but the fucus still giving me some problems. Can i do much to imrove this ? ive no software so to speak and cant afford a big ol all singing all dancing camera. Any tips welcome

novembermoon_zps10598099.jpg

Okay, this is my favourite luna work, what camera are you using, most point an shoot camera`s have auto focus, this hunts for focus on luna surface, you can play with the image in photobucket editing to get more detail, just things like brightness will sort it.

i use a cheap pentax optio T30 p &s camera and swear by it, as it has manual focus so i can stop the focus "hunting" and infra red remote for shutter, works a treat.

great first image, keep at it :grin:

Okay, this is my favourite luna work, what camera are you using, most point an shoot camera`s have auto focus, this hunts for focus on luna surface, you can play with the image in photobucket editing to get more detail, just things like brightness will sort it.

i use a cheap pentax optio T30 p &s camera and swear by it, as it has manual focus so i can stop the focus "hunting" and infra red remote for shutter, works a treat.

great first image, keep at it :grin:

thanks for theinput, its only a point and squirt olympus Fe 5020 . No adjustments really other than white ballance and iso. I used the focuser on my 8" dob to try and get a clear image.

cheap as chips, camera  attached with a PH047 support a got this week. Quite encouraged but the fucus still giving me some problems. Can i do much to imrove this ? ive no software so to speak and cant afford a big ol all singing all dancing camera. Any tips welcome

Hello asset189,

That's a very good image. Was the camera handheld or did you use a camera adaptor?

If you are using a camera adaptor, you might try focussing the best you can and then taking several pictures adjusting the focus a little bit more inwards and a little bit more outwards (so you will get several pics at different focus points) then when you download the pics on your computer you will choose the best one.

I recommend to keep the ISO the lowest value possible. If the pictures look still too much bright, you may try using a moon filter. A pair of sunglasses might also do the job :cool: If your camera has any automatic setting for "sport" or "fast action", try that, as it will action the shutter much faster and you might get a sharper and less bright picture :)

I have processed your picture a little bit using a free program called "Rawtherapee" (it's available for Linux, Windows and Mac), I hope you don't mind :)

post-17725-0-47279400-1384106058_thumb.p

Hello asset189,

That's a very good image. Was the camera handheld or did you use a camera adaptor?

If you are using a camera adaptor, you might try focussing the best you can and then taking several pictures adjusting the focus a little bit more inwards and a little bit more outwards (so you will get several pics at different focus points) then when you download the pics on your computer you will choose the best one.

I recommend to keep the ISO the lowest value possible. If the pictures look still too much bright, you may try using a moon filter. A pair of sunglasses might also do the job :cool: If your camera has any automatic setting for "sport" or "fast action", try that, as it will action the shutter much faster and you might get a sharper and less bright picture :)

I have processed your picture a little bit using a free program called "Rawtherapee" (it's available for Linux, Windows and Mac), I hope you don't mind :)

attachicon.gifnovembermoon_zps10598099_rawtherapee.png

Hi Rihard, apologies for not replying sooner but ive just seen your post! The camera i used was a basic point and shoot olympus fe5020. There is little adjustment availible other than iso, and white balance. I used a ma ufactured rig form AE called a PH047. Its quite fiddly to adjust to align the camera lense and eyepice but once aligned the results are good. Ive got a bridge camera with much more adjustment re shutter speed and aperture but for some reason when mounted on either the 8" xob or skywatcher 150p it cannot be adjusted by zoom to remove vignetting. Think it may relate to the wider lense on the bridge camera?

Archived