NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Revelation eyepiece kit

Big_Daz

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Naemeth, I was thinking second hand too because I would like to upgrade to BST Starguiders in the future when funds allow. However for now I would like something better than the stock EP's like the Revelation Plossl's. Are they good, average or poor Plossl's?

If you are going to spend £100 get 2 BST starguiders instead well worth the money and you wont regret it half of the kit will collect dust and when you do buy the starguiders the plossls out the kit will gather dust. I was going to buy the same kit i bought 2 eyepieces (BST) i have 4 now i am now going to get the last 2 to have the full set i have a 32 plossl i use for scanning the sky and locating DSO`s and a 2x Celestron Omni Barlow lens that will be my kit for a long time.

Hi Naemeth, I was thinking second hand too because I would like to upgrade to BST Starguiders in the future when funds allow. However for now I would like something better than the stock EP's like the Revelation Plossl's. Are they good, average or poor Plossl's?

I'd say they would be good Plossls.

"Revelation EP set Plossl

32mm, 20mm, 15mm, 9mm, 2x barlow 4 x Filters

will include 50mm Super View 2" EP

£60 whole set"

This is good value, anymore and you might as well buy the BSTs / Starguiders. Personally, I'd sell the filters straight away.

I don't really fancy spending £60 on something I wouldn't enjoy, besides the 2" EP would be of no use to the Heritage 130p it only has a 1.25" focuser.

You could always ask the seller to take off the 2" EP, hopefully shaving around £10 from the asking price. I think you would enjoy them, and when it comes to it you should easily be able to sell them 2nd hand for the price you pay when you want to upgrade :).

The Celestron X-Cel EP's do like nice but we are talking more expense. Slow and steady is best we know but I also love a bargin. :smiley:

I'd go with the BSTs over the X-Cel EPs, they are cheaper and optically on about the same level. The LXs have also been known to have a few issues with the eyepiece body.

I'd recommend the 18mm, 12mm and 8mm first (if you're getting one at a time, go for the 18mm if you like DSO observing a lot, go for the 8mm for planetary), gives you a reasonable range.

As the 15mm was voted best in its class from Sky at night magazine and i have just purchased it and can say it is very very good i would go with that, it is right in the middle of your 25mm and your 10mm you could then go for a 8mm to look at the planets.

As the 15mm was voted best in its class from Sky at night magazine and i have just purchased it and can say it is very very good i would go with that, it is right in the middle of your 25mm and your 10mm you could then go for a 8mm to look at the planets.

My 10mm is pretty poor to be honest wookie so that will be the first to be replaced I think.

I'd go with the BSTs over the X-Cel EPs, they are cheaper and optically on about the same level. The LXs have also been known to have a few issues with the eyepiece body.

I'd recommend the 18mm, 12mm and 8mm first (if you're getting one at a time, go for the 18mm if you like DSO observing a lot, go for the 8mm for planetary), gives you a reasonable range.

I was going to the 18mm like you as that was one of the first ones i bought i have not got the 12mm so i could not comment and as i have said the 15mm was voted best in class but we both were right for planets.

My 10mm is pretty poor to be honest wookie so that will be the first to be replaced I think.

Well the 8mm or 12mm i would go for the 8mm especially if your looking at planets i have had some amazing views of Jupiter with mine and when Saturn comes up i have seen the Cassini division with it.

Daz, I have a set and their fine for starting up. Clear view and crisp. Once you buy some "proper" eyepieces tho you will never use the revelations again. The comparison for example with the 32mm In the kit and my 2 inch 32mm panaview is startling! Also have some Panorama 82 mm wide angle eyepieces and again I would never use the revelation again for their magnification. If I had my time again, I would spend the money on one eyepiece instead and start saving for the next. Much more satisfying and you only need 3 to cover the spectrum really, ie planets, deep sky and very wide angle. But if budget is an issue, again they work fine.

Hi Halcyon, unfortunately budget is an issue hence not wanting to spend £60 on a set of Revelations if I'm always going to be thinking would the BST's have been a better choice.

Thanks for the review wookie, I will investigate the BST's further and keep my eye open for a 8MM to start me off.

Archived