NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Strange Request

Alien 13

Hi, A long time ago i had the chance to look through a friends telescope well it wasn`t a scope as such but a tank range finder from what i can remmember it had an objective of between 70-80mm a right angled eypiece and a magnification of 6X.

The views through it where stunning edge to edge pin sharp and zero chroma. The best thing was you didnt need any tripod and could loose yourself in the amazing detail wherever you looked and nothing i have seen since has come close.

Back to reality i have a WO ZS71 and want to capture some of that magic but that would need an 80mm eyepiece so what is available and has anyone used this scope for viewing..

It sounds just like what it was - A large finder.

My new Altair Astro 10x60 finder is surprisingly CA free and at F3.75 gives 10x with a 24mm EP - You can take the standard 24mm illuminated EP out and drop any other 1.25" EP in. For 6x (which does sound a little low) you'd need a 37.5mm EP which is going to mean a Plossl and thus the same experience as looking down a toilet roll due to the maximum field stop 1.25" allows. That's before you think of the washed out sky an almighty exit pupil of 10mm will deliver!

Assuming the usual maximum 7mm exit pupil, a 26mm EP would give 8.6x which is pretty low mag and almost the same as plenty of cheap astro binos you can buy, which might be worth considering instead - Don't underestimate the effect of using two eyes.

Russell

A 2" 38mm Panaview would give 11x, no idea how good/bad the edges would be.

You would need 70mm to get 6x on the ZS71, about as impossible as an 80mm but I do recall a 53mm plossl(?) made by someone in the US. Not very costly either, as in very inexpensive. That would give 7.9x, if it worked and you could find the position to view at.

50mm plossl, 1.25" fitting, Russell Optics: http://www.russell-optics.com/quarter_inch.html

Looks like they ship in the US only however.

Thats a little over 8x. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

85mm 2" plossl, same lot: http://www.russell-optics.com/two_inch.html

Thats 4.9x, if you can fit a 2" eyepiece, and get them to send one. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

72mm gives 5.8x.

Archived