Lovely morning session on Jupiter - TV76/Ethos 3.7SX

Stu

The wife and I took our now quite regular 6am walk and it was lovely to see Jupiter, the Moon and Orion looking so clear. We got back before sunrise, and although it was getting light by then, I thought I would pop the scope out for half an hour before getting on.

The trusty TV76 came out with a 32mm Plossl as a finder, then switching straight away to the Nagler zoom. I think this is the first time I've ever observed Jupiter in the morning, but it certainly won't be the last! The atmosphere was very stable, none of the normal boiling you often get at high powers in the evening. I had a quick play with the zoom and powers between 4 and 3mm were looking sharp so I gave the 3.5mm t6 and 3.7mm Ethos a whirl. The 3.5 was a little too high, so I stuck with the 3.7, first time in this scope, and actually the first time I've properly used it.

The views were lovely I have to say. Both equatorial belts showing some very nice detail after a little while, and I was delighted to see the GRS transitting, and looking much darker than previous years. I could see nice detail around the GRS and where it was nestling into the belt. The polar regions were also quite clear, although not much detail visible within them, all quite subtle.

I tried with and without Neodymium filter, and settled on 'with', largely because it darkened the background sky a little and just improved the contrast on Jupiter itself a touch. I was getting a little CA when towards the outer reaches of the fov but this may still have been the scope adjusting to the cold air.

The four moons were visible, 3 one side, one the other, and were very nicely resolved in the ethos, tiny disks, very sharp.

I moved on to the Moon after Jupiter, and it was stunning! I can't recall seeing such detail and lovely differing shades of grey on the surface before. The craters, mountains, rays and detail along the terminator were lovely, will little or no CA visible. The whole disk fitted into the fov at x130, the magnification seemed just right for the scope just as I had hoped.

I'll do a full review of the Ethos at some point soon, but brief comments as follows. Contrast, sharpness, scatter control all seem top notch as you would expect. The 110 degree fov is nice, but not necessary for me as you can't take it all in at once. It does mean that you can just let an object drift across the view without having to nudge too frequently which gives more observing time so it has benefits. There is noticeable ring of orange around the very edge when you are not at the field stop, a little distracting but not a major problem. My biggest issue was my eyelashes!! On Jupiter it was no problem, but on the moon, when trying to see more of the disk, you need to push your eye closer to the ep. This just made my eyelashes more and more visible to the point of getting in the way of the view, so perhaps they need a trim!!!

Clear skies here still, so perhaps a little solar observing at lunchtime :-)

Cheers,

Stu

I moved on to the Moon after Jupiter, and it was stunning! I can't recall seeing such detail and lovely differing shades of grey on the surface before. The craters, mountains, rays and detail along the terminator were lovely, will little or no CA visible. The whole disk fitted into the fov at x130, the magnification seemed just right for the scope just as I had hoped.

Yes, the moon was lovely last night. I was so enthralled by it that it was 1am before I realised, I was just sitting on the chair drinking coffee and taking it in (and looking for the Apollo11 craters, .. and I now I feel tired. :wink: I agree on the 130x mag, whether I can hold off until xmas for the 12mm BST is another matter, especially as Jupiter will soon be rising above in the trees.

I love observing Jupiter in the morning too.I find as the sky brightens before sun up helps me to see it better for some reason.Last time out the salmon bands were nicely visible,with some structure to them,but I had missed the GRS,great time observe the moon as well. My hopes were for this morning to observe.....but by the time I got off work,the clouds had rolled in :sad: The TV76 sure sounds like it works!Waiting patiently for your Ethos review! :smiley:

I love observing Jupiter in the morning too.I find as the sky brightens before sun up helps me to see it better for some reason.Last time out the salmon bands were nicely visible,with some structure to them,but I had missed the GRS,great time observe the moon as well. My hopes were for this morning to observe.....but by the time I got off work,the clouds had rolled in :sad: The TV76 sure sounds like it works!Waiting patiently for your Ethos review! :smiley:

It does seem to help, doesn't it. I think the brighter sky background cuts the glare a little, and with a nice stable atmosphere the detail comes through. Shame you missed GRS, it was very clear when I was observing.

The 76 is lovely and gives me options for quick observing sessions at home, including enough performance to enjoy planetary viewing. It is lovely under a really dark sky, and compact enough to take most places with me, including traveling abroad.

I am tempted, however, to pop the Mak out on the next clear night and get up early to have a decent look at Jupiter with some proper aperture and a bit more magnification.

Cheers,

Stu

+1 for morning sessions, Stu! I've just finished up with Jupiter and it was grand! I'm surprised by the increase in clarity given our pupils will be affected by the approaching light of day but suppose the exit is still much smaller than dilation. Wondering how this would work with Mars given it is currently high at this time of day.

+1 for morning sessions, Stu! I've just finished up with Jupiter and it was grand! I'm surprised by the increase in clarity given our pupils will be affected by the approaching light of day but suppose the exit is still much smaller than dilation. Wondering how this would work with Mars given it is currently high at this time of day.

the salmon bands were nicely visible,with some structure to them,but I had missed the GRS,great time observe the moon as well.

+1 again. I just wish I could get up this early more often, early morning skies are so good for viewing. My experience with Jupiter was the same as jetstream's.

Lovely report. I can share that feeling having had a similar experience with Jupiter last week.  Coming to think of it, strangely since owing a new bigger scope myself no moon so far with it, mainly timing and garden blockage. I must give that a go soon also.

Archived