Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Connecting a 350D

butlermike

Hi all,

I have done a quick search here (and other sites, Google etc.) looking for any ideas on why I can't connect my Canon 350D to my laptop.

I have a USB lead and serial cable.

I can connect it to my 'old' laptop with no problems! (I only changed laptops as the 'old' one only had USB1 ports and I needed USB2 (for a CCD). The 'new' laptop is second hand but seems fine and is still running XP as the 'old' one is.

The camera connects using the print mode on the camera but obviously this doesn't work with EOS utility.

Putting the camera in PC connection mode is where the problem is. Connecting the camera in this mode means its not connected. The connection wizard pops up saying it doesn't recognise the camera and can't install the driver. I have installed the drivers from scratch, twice, with no luck. I have updated them as well also with no luck.

I don't think i've done anything different installing the software than I did on the 'old' laptop. which still works with the camera in PC Connection mode.

There must be something I'm overlooking. isn't there?

This also effects APT which also can't see the camera on the new laptop but can on the old one. 

Any ideas or anyone had the same problem?

Thanks

Mike

Hi and thanks for your suggestion.

The version i have is older than 2.1. 

I'll try the one in your link instead though just to see if that works.

The annoying thing is that i installed the same driver on my old laptop and it works fine!

Thanks again for your help.

2.5 is older than 2.10...

It is strange, but should be a matter of driver. Make sure that the new laptop is not with USB3.0 port if yes try to force it to use the USB2.0 specification through the BIOS... Just a thought...

Finally got it sorted and it's now running fine through APT. (It wasn't a low battery problem in the end)

I uninstalled the drivers, plugged the camera in, went through Control Panel, Hardware, found the camera in the hardware list (it had that question mark next to it), right clicked and chose update driver. The canon disc was in the CD drive, let it use that rather than the internet option and away it went!

I didn't bother with EOS Utilities in the end as APT was working. And I'm not going to risk it!

I'm sure everyone already knew all thus but thought I'd put it here in case someone in the future has the same or similar problem.

And thanks for your help Ivo.

Archived