NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC 663

jdg600

While looking for M103 in Cassiopeia I found this open cluster. I'm not sure but I think its NGC 663. Comparing it with photos of the area I don't think its a very good sketch - I find open clusters very difficult. In my defence I was trying to finish before the clouds rolled over.

post-5650-0-19372700-1382274610_thumb.jp

Hi John 

I think OC's can be quite tricky to sketch, I've done a few which I've later compared to images and been disappointed with but for me at least I still consider them a success because by actually attempting the sketch in the first place I've forced myself to really concentrate on whats going on in the EP so I've seen more than 'just a quick look and move on' type of observing. I always try to keep it as tidy and accurate as possible but if its not perfect then it really doesnt worry me. :)

Qualia's OC sketches are very good, I may have this slightly wrong and hopefully he'll correct me but I think he uses a 'tetrad' like overlay which helps him plot the stars alot easier and more accurately.

Nice sketch, JDG and I look forward to seeing more. Do not underestimte Mike's humbling post above. What he terms as a 'disappointment' are probably some of the best sketches you're ever likely to see :grin: I mean, have you checked out his blog? It's mind blowing. A true source of inspiration and enjoyment and I look forward to seeing some new additions (or new takes on old) these coming winter months (hint hint).

Anyway, Mike's right in that I use a telrad design for plotting OCs.

I'll draw a circle using a blank CD. And then lightly go over this circle with something like this:

post-21324-0-23897300-1382344725.png

The brightest stars are then plotted with an ink pen whilst the fainest will be marked with a pencil. Those inbetween stars will either be lightly marked with a pen or more heavily marked with a pencil. Thus, I get a grading of 4 luminosities. For the more stricking suns, I colour code them, generally putting a small letter next to the star, something like b (blue) or yr (yellowish red) etc.

After the sketch is completed, I will carefully plot the stars again but onto another clean page without the clock face. So, I end up with something like this:

post-21324-0-67151900-1382344908.png

If it is necessary to computer display the sketch (perhaps you want to share it here), then with the aid of a free-software program like paint.net you can add the colour noted and tidy the stars, so you end up with something like this:

post-21324-0-22864700-1382345061.png

img2006082801_NGC663.jpg

post-5650-0-19372700-1382274610.jpg

While looking for M103 in Cassiopeia I found this open cluster. I'm not sure but I think its NGC 663. Comparing it with photos of the area I don't think its a very good sketch - I find open clusters very difficult. In my defence I was trying to finish before the clouds rolled over.

I think that you did get it. compare the bottom half of your sketch with the one I found on the internet. it's not that different.

what I tend to do is pick out the main obvious pattern from the brightest stars and then match that later with images online. it's important to consider the field you are using and the magnification. sometimes you need more to see the patterns that confirm the cluster.

My sketches are pretty basic but here's NGC7160 which was later confirmed by images online.

post-5119-0-65029000-1382347565_thumb.jp

and here's my initial sketch of NGC 1664 which I was not convinced by at 83x after I checked an image online. the moon was out so not worriying too much about dark adaptation, I went in and checked what it looked like (I tend to do this after the sketch so I don't use averted memory) and saw that I should have seen a kite shape. I concluded that more ower was needed so I went to about 160x. this allowed more detail to be seen and a further quick sketch confirmed the cluster. Mine are for ID only so take just a couple of minutes or so which serves my purpose.

post-5119-0-11584100-1382347575_thumb.jp

post-5119-0-76447400-1382347582_thumb.jp

Archived