Cert in astronomy

I completed it this year.

I had previously done the Year 1 Certificate in Introductory Astronomy which I think is now discontinued.

The 2 courses are Year 2 modules with exams at the end and require a good deal of Maths.

I really enjoyed doing some of the courses on the OU and eventually ended up with a degree in philosophy but now that I'm older, I feel that unless one needs such courses for their CV, or require directional programmes with a set beginning and consise end, it might be better to go about learning on one's own bat. There are plenty of books, web sources and the such to aid one's own enquries and if help is needed, there are plenty of wise and knowing folk here, for example, that could help tidy confussions or put one in the right direction.

At the end of the day, a university is a business like any other and although there are great figures within the universities, it isn't necessarily where the particular individual's best learning and insight goes on. If you move around the dots and the arguments, and the opinions and other people’s thoughts, well, that's basically academic. If you then write or think at another’s command you are doing something like shuffling or trumping or busting and these activities are not necessarily a measure of a good education. It may be different for the strict sciences, but I feel institutionalised education is a practice and its principle rule is to mimick. You play this game ad nauseum to get where you think you want to be getting, but it is by no means where the best of you follows.

Just a thought... :smiley:

Archived