NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

celestron 127SLT, eyepiece question

hi,

i want to replace the eyepiece i got with my new Celestron 127SLT (25mm + 9mm, 50-60 degrees).

i want to get Meade 5000 14mm UWA 82 degrees (http://store.meade.com/meade-series-5000-ultra-wide-angle-14mm-eyepiece-1-25.html)

i have 2 question please:

1) does it fit? with no any optic issue or any kind of blur?

2) what do you think of this eyepiece for beginners? for start i want to watch solar system objects (now i am doing it with my 25mm kit eyepiece)

Thanks

I think the eyepiece would work nicely in the scope, but I'm not sure it's the best choice for planetary viewing.  The magnification will be far less than with your existing 9mm.  I think I'd be looking at eyepieces in the 9mm to 5mm range instead.  Unless you specifically want to allow the planet longer to drift through the field of view without moving the scope (unlikely given that it's a tracking scope?) you don't really need the ultra wide either (though that would probably be pleasant for DSO viewing).

The 6mm Baader Classic Ortho might work nicely as long as you don't wear glasses and don't mind getting your eye pretty close to the eyepiece.  I'm sure others will be suggested as well.

James

From memory even at its closest to us Jupiter's apparent diameter isn't even 1/60th of a degree, so it isn't going to trouble a 0.2 degree field of view.

A reasonable working definition of DSOs would probably be "objects outside the solar system", but typically galaxies and nebulae.

James

Yes, the eyepiece will fit. Any 1.25" eyepiece will fit a 1.25" focuser, 2" eyepieces fit 2" focusers :).

Are you in the US? You may find Cloudy Nights useful to find local astronomy clubs in your area, it'd be good to look at some of this kit because 82 degree eyepieces are quite big ;).

Hi Gabik,

You mentioned that you usually use 25mm for your observations, not the 9mm, so I assumed that you have our light-polluted urban sky.

My C8 has focal length(FL) 10, and the most used EPs in my backyard are 15mm - 24mmm besides the lowest mag EPs.

Your scope has FL 11.8, the most useful EPs for the scope and sky condition should be around sub 2xFL range, i.e. 18-24mm, a 18mm BCO, e.g. should work well. If the sky condition are better, you should be able to enjoy EPs in 10mm to 16mm range. 6mm BCO would work if you can go to a dark sky under very good seeings.

I have the same scope and purchased a 15mm BST (and 8mm to replace the awful 9mm Celestron one). The 15mm EP is a good all rounder and works effectively with some DSO and Solar System objects. My next purchase will be a BST 12mm for Solar System as results from the 8mm are not always as good as I would like due to LP, the 8mm is lovely when conditions permit.

To answer your question; I have no experience with the 14mm Meade but would imagine it is a good EP (unless someone here advises otherwises) but for a similar price to the 14mm Meade you could get 2 x BSTs. The BSTs work well with 127SLT so why not consider getting both a 12mm & 15mm BST instead ?

Archived