Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newbie needing help with Polar Scope

Hi there, greetings from cloudy Central London.

I have been postponing this problem for a long time, but I think it is time for me to face to it: HOW ON EARTH CAN I SET UP MY POLAR SCOPE. I have read much and watched a few things here and there but I am still struggling with it. I tried it last night and I really did not managed to set it up. I have an Celestron Omni XLT 120, on an Omni CG4 Mount. I am struggling with aligning the scope, first of all. I have not been able to centre it properly and when I move the RA axis, Polaris spins and goes all over the place. I really need a step by step approach to it, in which nothing is really taken for granted. Any ideas? Thank you very much.

A couple of things to bear in mind (they might be obvious, but I can remember the "fun" I had with my first polarscope)  :

1. The polarscope alignment is for aligning the mount, so you don't need the telescope on it to do the alignment

2. Be careful when adjusting the reticle - if it slips out, it's a real pain to put it back again (you have to take the polarscope out and take it apart)

Just in case it is forgotten in the heat of battle with the polar scope you set Polaris to sit somewhere on the circle not the little central dot. It is "normal" when aligning things that we centre it/them. In this instance we don't.

Archived