Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging with a Startravel 102 or SkyMax 102?

Is it possible to image with these two scopes attached to the Alt/As synscan GOTO? (dslr and webcam)

Thinking about buying, you see.

From what I read...the refractor is good for widefield and DSO and the Mak for stuff in the solar system.

Will the refractor not show the planets ok? Will the Mak struggle with DSO also?

In the past I have managed to image using a 114mm Flec' on a EQ1...so if these two scopes can do better than that, i'll be happy!

Cheers in advance

Skipper

The Startraveller 102/500 sucks for imaging. the Achromatic aberration is absolutely insane. Go for an Evostar 80ED Pro instead. I was adviced against going for the Startraveler before I bought it. I did it anyway since the Evostar 80ED was not within my budget limits. Two months later, I bought the evostar. My startraveler is now just a glorified guiding-scope. ;)

Maksutovs are usually in the slow corner of the F-ratio. What you want is a refractor which does not have chromatic aberration, OR a reflector such as a Newtonian. both have their pro's and cons.

But whatever you do... dont get the Startraveler 102/500 for imaging.. viewing - sure. Imaging - no. ;)

alveprinsen.

For long exposure deep sky the fast achromat has far too much false colour and field curvature while the Mak is far too slow. And for deep sky you need an equatorial mount unless you are imaging at  the north or south pole... 

For planetary on an Alt Az mount you can make a good fist of it with the Mak and a fast frame camera.

Olly

Archived