NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher alz eq6 pro gt mount issue

jaspalchadha

Hello

Slight issues with my mount. When I polar align thought the polar scope - Polaris which is in the smaller circle. After a session I notice looking in to polar scope that Polaris star as moved on of the circle quite drastically.

Everything is level and tight.

Any ideas

Jaspal

When you centre Poalris in the small circle at the start of the session, the north celestial pole is bang in the centre of the cross hairs in the middle of the large circle.

Throughout the night, Polaris does its journey around the NCP (it does this every 24 hours or so (more so than 24 hours but you can go and read about that)), so, if at the start of the session, Polaris is meant to be at the 9 o'clock position, in 12 hours time it will have done half of its circuit around the NCP and should be at the 3 o'clock position. In another 12 hours it will be back at the 9 o'clock position. Ideally it should follow the outline of the larger circle if you have correctly polar aligned. However, if you have also drift aligned on top (or another form of polar alignment refinement) you may find Polaris doesn't follow the larger circle, but that is a step beyond what you need to know for now, and which I struggle with anyway.

So, if Polaris is following the outline of the larger circle, everything is fine and doing exactly what it should do. Also remember whenever you rotate the RA you will move the apparent position of Polaris on that large circle.

If Polaris isn't following the large circle, then your polar alignment isn't accurate.

I'm not sure I've helped, but maybe someone else can explain in clearer language.

James

Archived