Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Helios Apollo 15x70 question, new batch.

Chris Hopson

Hi, I've taken delivery of the Apollo 15x70's on Friday from FLO, and had a chance to try them today.

I pointed them to some sheep in the distance on a hill and found a white ghosting towards the bottom of the field. Is this internal reflection, or the above problem with the last batch? The top of the field had serious violent fringing on the tops of the trees too. I noticed that the bottom of the field was good, but not as sharpe as the centre, my thoughts are this is right?

First light Optics- Did you check the new batch was 100%?

I'm not quite sure what to expect from these bino's, but it's a lot of money for me to pay if you could please adivse or put my mind to rest, I would be very grateful.

Kind Regards

Chris

Okay been out just now and looked at the moon, noticed violent fringing around the limb.

The surface was nothing short of fantastic!

The centre of the FOV is to my mind spot on, and no white ghosting this time either.

I refocused the last time and caught a yellowish colour round the limb. The violent, had gone.

is this Chromatic aberration?

These really seem like they are as good as they are said to be.

Chris

Chris

That is CA that you are seeing. Because they are basically a fast F5 or 6 refractor, you will see either purple or yellow fringing around brighter objects.

Thanks mate, that puts my mind to rest! I've used to a mak & a reflector. My market bought binos get a lot of use, but their not the best.

Just been out again and split albeiro, seen the double cluster, my fav, m13 and m96, the latter for the first time!

It's gone completely cloudy here in Eastbourne, glad i got out when I did.

I'm really pleased with the binos and feel very lucky!

Anyway Had a few to many drinks now, walked the dog and cooked dinner. The misses now wants me to play golf on the xbox.

Thanks for the help!

Clear Skies, soon I hope.

Chris

Archived