NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SCT on NEQ-6

Naemeth

Hello everyone. I've been pondering a HEQ-5 for some time, but decided against it for the time being, but I was thinking that an NEQ-6 would probably be a better idea as I could stick a much larger OTA on it. I was thinking of an SCT for planetary imaging, and with that in mind what is the largest SCT OTA I could get on an NEQ-6 for visual / planetary imaging?

I believe it's the C11, at least that's the set up I want to get . A 9.25 would be a nearly perfect fit I think. 

I think the Meades in general are quite a bit heavier but I have seen a 10" Meade on a EQ6 for sale so I guess that's doable too, I don't know for sure though.

Hopefully others who have this type of set up can chime in because I'm interested too.

For planetary imaging I would not go for the C14 on an EQ6. The OTA is slightly over the weight rating of the mount anyway, and extensions to the counterweight bar mean lots of extra vibrations if you are not very careful. C11 is OK, and if you want to splash out I think the Orion Optics UK ODK12 is comparatively light (but WAY more expensive), and should be within the capacity of an EQ6

My C11 works fine. I would think that a C14 would also be fine, albeit with a lot of counterweights.

A C14 is also more than 3x the price of a C11. There are better combinations than a £6k scope on a £1k mount

A C14 is also more than 3x the price of a C11. There are better combinations than a £6k scope on a £1k mount

I don't disagree with you. However, I was trying to answer the OP's question:

Hello everyone. I've been pondering a HEQ-5 for some time, but decided against it for the time being, but I was thinking that an NEQ-6 would probably be a better idea as I could stick a much larger OTA on it. I was thinking of an SCT for planetary imaging, and with that in mind what is the largest SCT OTA I could get on an NEQ-6 for visual / planetary imaging?

Thats my orange C14 on NEQ6. It works easily with the extended counterweight shaft.

"Cheap" SCTs are those old ones. The orange OTA has ~40 years and the prices was rather below new C11, but even so the scope is fully operational.

Well, I'm impressed. Good old EG6.

Olly

Archived