NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M31 - 2h 20 min exposure - finished processing.

Considering the low exposure time one this one, I think I want to give it another shot.

At least I've gotten to hone my photoshop skills a bit working with this old data of mine.

Scope: Evostar 80ED

Camera: Nikon D3100 unmodded.

ISO setting  : 800
Lights 10 min: 11 frames.
Darks  10 min: 06 frames.
Lights 02 min: 30 frames.
Darks  02 min: 15 frames.

Total exposure: 2h 20 min.

Original image size: 4660 x 3066 (decreased to 1920 x 1263 in order to decrease file-size.)

M31%20Finished%20JPG%20small.jpg

Btw, all those little red dots... They annoy the hell out of me.. Are those hotpixels? Arent my dark frames working or something?

Any tips on how to propery photograph and process M31 is greatly appreciated. Going to give this one another shot as soon as the skies clear up. :)

Sincerely, Alveprinsen.

Most excellent work maybe just a tad less contrast to bring out some more details. What program are you using to stack them again? I never have a problem removing random hot pixels using DSS.

Most excellent work maybe just a tad less contrast to bring out some more details. What program are you using to stack them again? I never have a problem removing random hot pixels using DSS.

I use DSS myself, but I just run everything on auto...

How would I go about removing those pixels?

Alveprinsen.

Hi,

Great capture, well done. The only point I would make is that if I were you I'd frame the galaxy at an angle, it just gives the subject  more depth and weight. I also have my doubts about DSS at times, it seems that at times the flats just do not work or it could just be my processing.

Regards,

A.G

Hi,

Great capture, well done. The only point I would make is that if I were you I'd frame the galaxy at an angle, it just gives the subject  more depth and weight. I also have my doubts about DSS at times, it seems that at times the flats just do not work or it could just be my processing.

Like this?:

M31rotatedsmall.jpg

Archived