NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sh2-132 concoction

Mike Hawtin

This is a two panel mosaic taken through Ha, OIII and SII filters, each panel is 9 x 600 sec for each filter with an ATIK 428EX and C6 HyperStar.  I’ve had hours of fun with this one trying various things in Pixinsight, this particular concoction uses a Synthetic L channel created from all three NB channels combined with Ha as Red, OIII as blue and a 50/50 blend of Ha and OIII as a synthetic green so I haven’t a clue how to describe it, Synthetic L, Red, Synthetic Green and Blue is a bit of a mouthful!  Perhaps one of the experts out there knows the correct nomenclature (dogs breakfast perhaps?).

Anyway for better or worse here it is, I hope it isn’t too garish for you.

8ac7f329-5da7-4fba-aedd-43e65b7145e9_thu

Mike

Andy, you should have seen some of the purple and pink versions, think yourself lucky I didn't post one of those!

Alan, I found good collimation impossible to achieve until I gave up on the stock adjusters and bought a Teleskop Service T2 tilt adjuster.  It seems obvious in hindsight, you can adjust the hyperstar units collimation screws as much as you like but if you have tilt on the camera chip it won't make a blind bit of difference, with the adapters provided the relationship between the camera chip and Hyperstar focal plane is fixed, period!  Once the hyperstar is adjusted  parallel to the scopes focal plane any further movement to accommodate chip tilt  ruins that alignment.

Archived