Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron Skyris 445M

stephen_usher

Last night was the first clear night since I got my new Celestron Skyris 445M monochrome camera so I thought I'd share my experience.

Firstly, it behaves just like any other Imaging Source camera. It's only the Celestron branding which shows that it's not made directly by them. The camera itself looks far less industrial too.

The only problem I had was with the Windows driver. If you changed the gain or exposure using the control panel sliders then quite often the driver would crash. Most of the time unplugging the camera and plugging it back in (after quitting the capture application) fixed this but sometimes a full reboot was required.

Anyway, here's my first composite RGB image using the camera and Meade CCD RGB filters: three sets of 1000 frames at 1/30th of a second processed in Registax 6 to FITs image files and then combined:

Jupiter 2013 10 06 03 28 51 composite

This is my first attempt at doing this so the colour balance may not quite right. Also, the image is inverted.

Archived