NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

LX600 12" vs. CPC / CGEM1100

I wonder if anyone could offer some advice.

I was originally looking at buying a LX600 to get back into the hobby after a 20 year break since I sold my telescope to help pay for university!

Having asked around I've had a lot of people talk to me about the CPC1100 but on another forum have also had a lot of input with people saying I should really look at a GEM (would probably be a CGEM or CGEM DX for my budget) instead due to the flexibility it offers me in swapping OTAs further down the line.  Still others have said that imaging with SCT's is difficult (bordering on madness) and I should start or at least have in parallel a small APO for deep space imaging.  Also mentioned has been that F10 or F8 SCTs don't have the Field Of View to image certain large objects like M31 (Andromeda) or M42 (Orion Nebula) and I would definitely need an APO to do this.

The FOV aspect is interesting as I have seen a few videos / images of M42 alledgedly taken with 1100CGEM but have been told this too big to image through an F10 SCT (I've heard about Hyperstar and focal reducers so maybe these were used to image this).

The advice provided in the other forum I've mentioned is very useful and has been measured and explained but still thought I ought to ask in another forum to get a second point of view.

I want something that is easy to set-up and find things in the sky with first off and but that will grow with me as I move to imaging - as and when I'm more practiced at the basics of astronomy (was a kid with a much smaller telescope when I last did this so almost a novice, although was able to find some objects when younger by eye and track by hand... no goto, motors or tracking back then...although took me awhile and love the idea of all the automation to help find things quickly that's around now).  I know weight is one issue I should consider, especially with forks, but I do own an engine crane (used to lift engines out of cars which is wheeled and portable) that should allow me to lift big OTAs with little effort and time so not too worried about this but do wonder about best option for something that makes astronomy relatively simple for someone inexperienced but is great for visual and can do a good job of imaging.  If one scope not able to do this then would appreciate suggestions on combinations.  I'm in the UK and budget is about £6K / cost of a LX600 + Xwedge.

I am going to try to get along to star parties to try things out but obviously can't guarantee what equipment will be there and won't be the same as having to set-up, align, etc myself (the time / complexity of setting up a GEM mount does concern me vs a fork but equally in terms of imaging and putting different scopes with different strengths on a mount...the fork, even with a wedge, also concerns me...don't know how difficult it would be to piggyback something on top of a LX600 or CPC1100 with Starlock / Guidescope on top so don't know if I'd then have to get another mount).

Any advice or opinions on the points above and choice of equipment would be much appreciated!!!

Cheers

Paul

I can't help feeling that with your budget you might be better off with two set-ups. Perhaps a GOTO DOB, easy set up, for visual and a EQ mount and smaller fl scope for imaging. You could get the DOB and reacquaint your self with the night sky, to start with, and then buy an imaging set up a little later? I owned a 12" lx200 gps and its a substantial scope to move around but manageable, just, by one person. 

agreed with above,

£1k would get a lovely large go-to flextube dob for your visual edification and then then rest could go on an neq6 with fast apo for imaging. And probably leave enough pennies for some goodies like filter wheels and a ccd and all the other expensive goodies that the imaging folks seem to empty their wallets on.

Many thanks for your replies.  Goto dob is something I've considered as do like the idea of observing and have the photons from millions of ly hit my eyeballs direct!  My only reservation is having a long fl and short fl for imaging.  I believe even the goto dobs with tracking aren't able to image 'that' well...?

The dob would be for visual use and the NEQ6 / fast apo for imaging. Getting a single scope that is really good at both is nigh on impossible hence the recommendation for 2 scopes.

My advice would be to forget imaging for a while and enjoy the visual side of the hobby while you get used again to the night sky, scope operation, finding and tracking objects etc, etc.

The requirements of visual astronomy and imaging are very different you see  :smiley:

If you've been away for a while...in your case 20 years you might want to take it a bit slow and see what really interests you once your back.  Things have changed quite a bit in 20 years. A 5 inch Achro refractor and an Advanced VX mount could get you back in the hobby for about 1500 dollars....as opposed to 3500-5000k for the rigs your looking at.   For slightly more you could get a 5 inch APO, a CGEM mount and imaging equiptment for the price your looking at.

I have a 5 inch refractor and advanced vx mount that I can set up and align in about 30 minutes.  Its not complicated at all.  The OTA weights 15lbs as opposed to the 40-60 lbs your looking at in a 11-12 inche SCT.

But basically you need to realize that if you have to break it down and set it up everytime you want to look a really heavy, expensive telescope with awesome abilities that sits in a closet is not going to be any better then a lighter, dob or refractor that is easy to move, set up and use.

Thanks for your replies.  I have been looking at newtonians as well.  Downside is the dimensions for storage / manhandling but advantage seems to be aperature you get for the cost and would I be right in saying they are good for visual and imaging because on an eq mount (rather than a dob), big aperature but still low f/# ratio?  They don't seem to be too heavy compared to an SCT and would be in the shed so not far to move to where I'd be observing...

Archived