NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Collimation fustration!!!

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Set your scope u like you did before then leave the small mirror alone dont touch it at all you will never have to touch that again as long as you dont bump your scope. After you have done that use the 3 screws at the back of your scope where the big mirror is and move the little black dot into the small circle it will then line up.

If the centre screw in the secondary mirror moves the focuser circle (small black outer circle) in to the centre of the crosshairs and the 3 Allen bolts line the secondary mirror up with the primary mirror then I have a problem.

If I set the focuser circle bang in the middle of the crosshairs, as soon an I turn the Allen bolts to get a full view of the primary, the focuser circle goes off centre of the crosshairs.

the centre screw moves your secondary in and out of your tube with a little bit of movement (Twisting) this needs to be centralised under the focuser forget everything else, once you have accomplished this with the 3 collimation screws you should see the 3 clips holding your primary mirror it doesnt matter about the dot or vanes at this point. Then all you need to do is use the 3 screws at the back of the scope on the primary to line up the dot in the little circle. Read through the last link i sent you he shows you a great way of blocking all the other stuff off so you are only looking at your secondary to get it in the right position.

Ok wookie thanks. I'm am at work at the mo but I will read up when I get home.

If you could look at the last picture I posted and tell me what is wrong with it I would be most gratefull. I can see all 3 clips that hold the primary mirror and all the circles line up but they're not central with the crosshairs.

Its a bit fiddly but read that post it makes things easier i was pulling my hair out the first time, now i don`t have to touch that part of the scope just tweak the back 3 screws and that`s all you will have to do, if you really cannot do it take it down to one of those astro society`s i posted to you there will be someone there that will help you.If i was closer i would have come and helped you no problem. The last picture looked perfect all you had to do was adjust your primary mirror the one at the back this would have brought the cross hairs and dot in the middle.

I know what your saying, I need to get the focuser circle central with the crosshairs, then adjust the 3 bolts to bring the 3 clips of the primary mirror into view, it's just that when I'm adjusting the 3 bolts the focuser circle moves!! Haha nightmare.

I know what your saying, I need to get the focuser circle central with the crosshairs, then adjust the 3 bolts to bring the 3 clips of the primary mirror into view, it's just that when I'm adjusting the 3 bolts the focuser circle moves!! Haha nightmare.

No No the clips will be seen from the first part of the collimation the crosshairs is the last part, the clips will be seen from when you adjust the secondary (little mirror)It will become so much clearer when you read that third link keep going through the pages their is only 3 but he puts coloured paper in (which you should) and blocks off the reflection of the primary when you take this out and adjust tilt you will see 3 clips then leave secondary alone. All you have to do then is primary and that is the easy bit, the website explains it all its got pictures so you can see what you are supposed to be seeing each step of the way.

Archived