NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lose the Skyliner finder scope all together?

I've got a Rigel and although I've upgraded the standard finder scope to a RACI, it uses the same bracket as the straight-through finder.

I found it wouldn't fit between the focuser and the finder scope, so I just stuck it on the other side of the finder. Not had any issues looking through it, because it's nice and high / away from the OTA.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a Rigel and although I've upgraded the standard finder scope to a RACI, it uses the same bracket as the straight-through finder.

I found it wouldn't fit between the focuser and the finder scope, so I just stuck it on the other side of the finder. Not had any issues looking through it, because it's nice and high / away from the OTA.

So you can still look through it when stood on the left of the scope ok?? How tall is the Reigel????

Yeah What I was tyring so say shane (please excuse haha) is the finder on mine is at the top dead centre so when the Rigel is on the right hand side of the finder it means you have to lean right over the other side of the scope to see through it.

Nice one Shane thanks. I was just looking at the finder upgrades and noticed First Light do a Skywatcher one that's right angled, it's a bit cheaper than the other one that's been mentioned. Does the ret really need to be illuminated???

not at all. mine are both pretty similar to the skywatcher one (make sure it's the corrected image one like this http://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/skywatcher-9x50-right-angled-erecting-finderscope.html) and neither are illuminated. it's a nice thing to have I expect but I have never missed not having it.

I sold my straight finder and bracket for about £30 to mitigate the cost a bit.

I cannot speak highly enough of the red dot finder / right angle finder combo when it comes to finding things more easily.

price really as always. in my opinion they'd be better selling as a bare OTA with extras but this would cost more in the first place. I already have my accessories and would much prefer to buy a bare OTA with mirrors, cell, choice of focuser and choice of rings. this would mean several things though. the cost would probably be a lot more than currently, the lead time would be much longer and new buyers might be put off - for them though they could maybe sell a full kit as now.

Is there a right angle end available that just connects to the stock finder scope???

Unfortunately not. The prism or mirror that makes a finder into a right angle one takes up quite a lot of the light path of the finder so you would need to shorten the finder tube quite a lot to get an eyepiece to focus. It can be done as a DIY job but it's a bit messy and can't really be undone if it does not work out.

Nice one Shane thanks. I was just looking at the finder upgrades and noticed First Light do a Skywatcher one that's right angled, it's a bit cheaper than the other one that's been mentioned. Does the ret really need to be illuminated???

I went for the standard SkyWatcher RACI and it does the trick perfectly for me. Never missed an illuminated reticule.

PS: like your setup, my finder is virtually at the top of my OTA so I lean over slightly to look through the Rigel. Honestly not a problem and as Shane says, you don't look through it for very long in any event.

I went for the standard SkyWatcher RACI and it does the trick perfectly for me. Never missed an illuminated reticule.

PS: like your setup, my finder is virtually at the top of my OTA so I lean over slightly to look through the Rigel. Honestly not a problem and as Shane says, you don't look through it for very long in any event.

Could you put a pic up please? :grin:

Archived