NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Want to find a new planet?

Carl Reade

Saw this on slashdot a couple weeks ago

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/194267-oscaar-photometry/

seems skywatcher are now trying to coin in on the "discover a planet" thing

I would hazard a guess its a tad harder than just buying a EQ5, random SW telescope and a random CCD. Last time I checked there's a shedload more to it than that :)

Dave

Yeah it has nothing to do with SW whatsoever. I've spent the day downloading and installing this (yes - it took the entire day) and it's definitely nothing to do with them. It's been built by University of Maryland in the US. It certainly seems capable, but even with this extremely complex software beta, it's still going to be a right mission even to make an observation of a known exoplanet. As for finding a new one, that's one heck of a tall order. No reason not to try, of course, but it's not going to be easy for all but the luckiest of astronomers. 

Despite this, I was looking to do exoplanet observation for my final year project at uni. This has just made it a damned site easier! 

The software is a pig though, and I've already found bugs which I've spent the last few hours going over with one of the developers. 

I actually think it's a bit irresponsible of SW to be touting it as something they've done. The documentation mentions no manufacturers or commercially available products, with the exception of MaximDL.

If anyone does download this - I have some advice:

Run everything as an administrator by right-clicking and choosing "Run As Administrator".

It's important to do this even if your user account has full administrator privileges. Also, if you have any trouble with the ephemeris prediction, PM me and I can send you a link to a quick fix they did last night which isn't yet included in the standard beta.

It all seems well and good but certainly Keppler has the field of view covered already.

Zooniverse is a far simpler system.

I think the reason the software has been released is that Kepler is kaput it can no longer stay steady enough to locate planets. During its operation it discovered 135 confirmed and according to the figures 3,500 TBC via zooniverse.

Also, this is a bit different. It enables you to use your own data, for a start. Plus, you can just 'observe' known exoplanets. I don't know about you guys, but I'd be pretty chuffed if I could pull that off. It's enabling amateurs to achieve something that would have been nigh on impossible not too long ago!

I think the reason the software has been released is that Kepler is kaput it can no longer stay steady enough to locate planets. During its operation it discovered 135 confirmed and according to the figures 3,500 TBC via zooniverse.

True, there is still lots of data left to sift through though so that number is likely to rise.

Also, this is a bit different. It enables you to use your own data, for a start. Plus, you can just 'observe' known exoplanets. I don't know about you guys, but I'd be pretty chuffed if I could pull that off. It's enabling amateurs to achieve something that would have been nigh on impossible not too long ago!

Again this is true, I might be more enthusiastic if I had the equipment to run it. At least one of those to be confirmed from planet hunters is mine, I'd love to be able to collect my own data on it.

Archived