Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which GOTO mount to buy.

As best I know there is no goto for a SkyTee - equally I think I know what a SkyTee is but have not checked.

At f/12 and 12lbs I do not think an EQ3-2 will be sufficent, thinking that the motors need to turn a long scope with a lump of weight at each end. So that means the EQ5.

Now the EQ5 is as expected an equitorial mount and I am guessing you are used to an Alt/Az. Any concerns about an EQ ?

If you wanted to stick to Alt/Az then the one I think that would be best is one of the iOptron Cube mounts.

I know that one of the models goes to 9lbs so that means one of the bigger ones and that means more money. The Cube Pro goes to 5Kg which is just above 11lbs (£400). Slightly questionable for your stated weight, but the ones that are rated at heavier are around £800

What budget are you thinking of as that makes a fair difference.

Being honest 12lbs for an 80mm seems a bit heavy, have you weighed it or is it estimated ?

Archived