NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

motorized mount for a Canon DSLR camera

autonm

Hi all,

I have a Canon 1100d DSLR - I am wondering which mount I would be able to attach this to for a motorized/Tracking/goto ?

I know that I could probably attach it to a HEQ5 - but that would be overkill.

Any pointers on what I would need for a cheaper mount ?

Thanks

The cheapest would be a barn door tracker, you can make one from designs avialable all over the net. You can use the little EQ1 for very short focal lengths, or, try one of the portable options... Ioptron Skytracker, Vixen Polarie or Astrotrac, however, they are not exactly cheap, but they are a lot more portable than an HEQ5. A lot depends really on what your intentions are.

The Polarie is a brilliant little mount if that's the sort of thing you are looking for as I suppose the ioptron version is too.

If you want to eventually put more load than a standard dslr on it then the Astrotrack can offer more variability.

I just got a s/h motorised table top EQ1 with polar scope mod for just this purpose (using my 1000D). You don't necessarily need goto unless you have to have it for a specific reason. Otherwise anything bigger will do - but considerably more expensive. :)

Archived