NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Full Frame SLR/DSLR experiments

laser_jock99

Does any one know if the CCD position on DSLR cameras matches the film plane position on equivalent (eg Nikon) SLR's?

The reason I ask is I want to run some experiments with a "full frame" SLR to check what the field of view looks like, edge of field correction, edge focus and vignetting with a 35mm frame/sensor.

If I use my current kit I think that full frame 35mm might not be fully covered? At the very least I might have to invest in a 3" Coma Corrector / reducer for the Newtonians.

To achieve perfect focus I was going to use the DSLR first and then swap out for the SLR "full frame" camera. This method of focusing will only work if the two focus planes are in the same postion. I'm guessing they must be pretty close but are they exact?

I would expect that if the lens mount is the same, then the imaging plane should be the same distance inside the body. The Canon FD mount is different to the EF mount for instance, but I think Nikon have not changed mounts (F ??) since the film days.

Archived