Guidescope for a Megrez 72

Rigel

Hi, I new to the Forum so apologies if this topic has already been raised....

I have a WO Megrez 72 mounted on a SW HEQ5 Pro. I'd like to do some imaging using the Megrez and my Canon DSLR. So, my questions are these:

- how can I mount a small guide scope to the Megrez to carry an autoguider (ie what hardware do I need?) and,

- can you recommend a guide scope and a lightweight ccd for guiding purposes (using PHD I expect)?

Thanks in anticipation!

Best regards,

Malcolm.

Assuming that you are going to use the attached Vixen 'shoe' then there won't be any tube rings to use so I'd be tempted to use a finder-guider as the guide 'scope. I have successfully used one of these.  You will have to drill new holes in the supplied mounting bracket to match the diagonal tapped holes on the top of the Megrez. I actually bought a SkyWatcher finderscope mount and drilled that to suit. You need to be aware that adjustable tube rings can be a source of differential flexure so these need to be very solidly clamped down and the cables to the guide camera located solidly so that they cannot put any strain on the camera as you traverse the sky.

For a guide camera, you can't beat the Starlight Xpress Lodestar.

Hi

I'm in a similar position to you and dipping my toe into imaging with the Megrez 72.

Can't help with any experienced comments on setup just yet (hopefully that will happen soon), but I've attached a skywatcher finder to mine.

There is a photo of my rig in my gallery http://stargazerslounge.com/gallery/album/2666-imaging-rig/

I had to drill the skywatcher mounting plate to fit but was pretty straightforward.

Webcam for me is the Phillips 900NC (LXmod)

Regards

Neil

• 3 weeks later...

I've got the Megrez 90 with a ST80 piggy backed, looks cool but there is no way of adjusting the guidescope if I have problems finding a guide star. With this in mind would the Sywatcher guidescope mount which Steve mentioned above be sufficient with the Megrez and the ST80 piggybacked?

Rob.

Archived