Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Optimizing

I'm workign with Registax 4 for my stacking/processing and getting the hang of the main features.

1. However, I still don't understand the meaning of optimizing...

2. And reference frames? What is a reference frame, how is it picked, and how does it fit into optimization?

3. And finally, how do I choose what percentage of frames I stack? Is it just guesswork?

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew

Optimisation compares each frame with the reference frame to determine its quality.

The frames are then sorted according to quality - best at the front, worst at the end.

You can select your reference frame from the slider on the Alignment screen - at the bottom.

But here's what I do....

Use the slider to find a decent reference frame - don't kill yourself here, though!!

Align as normal

Optimise using a setting of 5-10 pixels, single run optimisation

This does a quick quality sort first off.

THEN I create my own reference frame using the "Create reference frame" button. The number of frames depends on how many you have in the list - more the better of course.

Do a gentle sharpening with wavelets once Registax has stacked the frames, and then go back to optimisation.

Untick the single run setting and let it optimise again.

Now, each frame will be compared to YOUR reference frame and should result in a better sort order than before

Finally, you can choose how many of the optimised list to stack using the stack graph. It really is trial and error I'm afraid though. Some people say you should stack all the images, some say cut out the poorest ones.

Does this help?

wonderfully 8) Thanks a lot! I guess optimisation can assist with getting a suitable percentage? namely, scroll through the ordered frames, and when they begin to deteriorate to the extent that they are pretty much useless, work out the number of useable frames.

Cheers

Andrew

Archived