newbie widefield m31

I managed to get using my SMC Takumar 200mm prime lens for a shot at M31

The LP was pretty bad and I had to use a Baader LP filter to get anything.

I used a unmodded Canon 1100d at ISO 400

15x5 mins, nowt else

The takumar is a budget lens and the CA shows when wide open, although imaging is much quicker. I used a fringe reduction tool in Photoshop to get rid of the offending red halos around stars.

It's not a brilliant image and seriously needs some flats! but I was please to be able to get something as the weather has been poor as of late.

post-11156-0-64404600-1378908780_thumb.p

Thats an awesome result. I imaged it myself recently with a 200mm, i think its a great FOV for Andromeda. Are you guiding for those 5 minute subs?

Many thanks

hi yes, I managed to use my 8x50 SW finder scope off my DOB with a QHY5 camera. The guiding is pretty good with this setup.

It's a bit DIY, especially the large diving weight LOL

post-11156-0-94406500-1378912784_thumb.j

That is a very nice start. When the weather clears I should give my 200mm a spin on M31.

hi

thanks for the encouragement. I think I might invest in a better 200mm lens, Maybe the Canon prime as I believe the CA is much better that my current lens.

Very nice.

I gave it ago with a 50mm not long ago, I should try with my zoom and see what happens.

Ah I must get a look at that image with the 50mm. Did you have to stop down?

I have just got the cheapo 50mm 1.8 Canon lens. It's actually a great little lens and should take decent pics when stopped down a bit.

Ah I must get a look at that image with the 50mm. Did you have to stop down?

I have just got the cheapo 50mm 1.8 Canon lens. It's actually a great little lens and should take decent pics when stopped down a bit.

Here 'tis. :)

Yeah I use it at f/4.0. Until otherwise instructed I will keep it at that setting I think. It is a great little lens, I have rediscovered it in a way after not using it for a year or two.

Here 'tis. :)

http://stargazerslou...d/#entry2016006

Yeah I use it at f/4.0. Until otherwise instructed I will keep it at that setting I think. It is a great little lens, I have rediscovered it in a way after not using it for a year or two.

They are great shots! Lovely the way the galaxy just 'seems' to hang among all those stars.

Did another version with basic not very well shot flats, may be a little better

post-11156-0-69976000-1378919999_thumb.p

Congrats on the image ... Really like M31 in this FOV..

The Flats have made the galaxy pop nicely and the core is well controlled...

The Canon 200/2.8L EF II is a classic and can be used wide open with careful focusing... Mines definitely going to Kelling with me in a few weeks time...

Onwards and upwards...

Peter...

Congrats on the image ... Really like M31 in this FOV..

The Flats have made the galaxy pop nicely and the core is well controlled...

The Canon 200/2.8L EF II is a classic and can be used wide open with careful focusing... Mines definitely going to Kelling with me in a few weeks time...

Onwards and upwards...

Peter...

Many thanks, I usually blow out the core on this galaxy. I find it a very hard target to get right. I used a 1 minute exposure for the core and blended it into the main image. I would LOVE to try this target with a Canon 200mm lens at a dark site. That would be great. I must invest in one of those ioptron, astrotrak jobs so that I can travel light.

Good luck at Kellimg

Archived