NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Standard tripod vs pier

Bubbles82

Having recently moved to our new home I have managed to get out and use my setup a couple of times in the last few weeks,mostly to try and find the best / suitable place for a pier.I don't have a problem with carrying the mount and tripod (neq6) out to the garden as my other hobby is bodybuilding so lifting things is fun for me :) it's more of a space / setup time thing for me. I was wondering if there are many people who have build or brought a pier and now find it a restriction in the garden in the terms of being able to see certain parts of the sky or wish they hadn't bothered building or buying one for the difference it has made.The other reason I am considering this is that I keep my mount indoors and although I would keep the tripod part for going to a dark site if I ever wanted to it would mean I could put it in the loft saving a massive amount of space indoors and keeping the good lady boss happy :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think you will find the advantages totally outweigh (sorry!! :p ) the disadvantages. You will soon find the "best" place for it in the garden for your pier and, if you keep the mount on it - polar aligned, all you have to do is mount the scope and you are ready. A simple "box" could be bought or built to keep things dry and secure.

If you want a pier at a sensible price try and find a local "steel fabricator" to make one up for you. My own, built from his offcuts bin and welded by him, cost under £100. All I had to do was paint it.

Having recently moved to our new home I have managed to get out and use my setup a couple of times in the last few weeks,mostly to try and find the best / suitable place for a pier.I don't have a problem with carrying the mount and tripod (neq6) out to the garden as my other hobby is bodybuilding so lifting things is fun for me :) it's more of a space / setup time thing for me. I was wondering if there are many people who have build or brought a pier and now find it a restriction in the garden in the terms of being able to see certain parts of the sky or wish they hadn't bothered building or buying one for the difference it has made.The other reason I am considering this is that I keep my mount indoors and although I would keep the tripod part for going to a dark site if I ever wanted to it would mean I could put it in the loft saving a massive amount of space indoors and keeping the good lady boss happy :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

while it is generally considered preferable to have your best views to the south,I'd be inclined to wait 12 mth so you get to see your sky over a full year. it may help you decide. (it's something you only really want to do the once) :)

Think I've made my mind up and am going to go the pier route but maybe after I have spent more time in the garden and am really sure that I'm happy with a spot to put it . I'm not brave enough to leave my neq6 on the pier covered not from a security point of view just my luck it would come to some harm some how ( freak wave / lightening strike) ha ha seriously though am really liking the look of the eq8 next year and would only consider leaving kit like the nea6 or eq8 in a proper obsy / shed with the elements kept at bay :) :)

I had my HEQ5 fixed to a pier permanently and used a new,clean metal rubbish bin over the top. 2 years and never a problem. As said take the time and you will find the best place.

Cheers

Jamie

Archived