Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars on Thursday

Zeffer

I know the C8 isn't the best planetary instrument, but I was really out to enjoy views of M42. However, my brother in law was up and had never looked at mars (or anything else) so we spent some time there.

Seeing was the best I have had, perhaps 8/10 and Mars was quite high at midnight when we started in earnest. The light pollution from Coventry was also strangely missing - normally there is an orange glow that reaches high up, but not this time. Maybe the cold and frost helps?

To the point. My first impression was how nice to see a little orange disc. I cranked the power up and was delighted to have steady views with the 8mm Hyperion - normally it boils terribly. After a while my BIL asked what was the grey butterfly he could see. I took a look and sure enough you could make out darker markings on the surface and it did look roughly like a grey butterfly. I was well impressed as I have never seen any details before.

After a while the polar ice cap also became quite obvious and we were by this point feeling like we were on it so we showed the girls (who saw it too) and came back in. A great night!

One question, would any sort of filter help me?

I know a few people have been posting saying they were having difficulty in seeing any surface detail on Mars and i have to agree with them but last night(sunday) i was looking at Mars with a light yellow filter (which i also find best for Saturn and Jupiter) and for the first time since the planet has been "close" i managed to see"the grey butterfly" (very apt description Zeffer).

The views were rock steady, hardly any atmospheric disturbance all night and tonight is gin clear again so hopefully a steady nights viewing awaits,has anyone else noticed an improvement in the surface detail when viewing Mars?

Archived