NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Spectroscopy?

So I'm new to astronomy but not shy to Spectroscopy so would like to combine my profession with hobby. I might be able to 'borrow' an old Acton spectrometer from work it fiber coupled which is not ideal how is the best way to mount it to the eye piece and how would one go about acquiring a star spectrum?

HI Jim

I`m surprised no one has replied to you yet so I`ll have a go :smiley: .

I`m not familiar with the Acton or any fibre coupled spectroscopes as I use a Star Analyser which is a 1.25" diameter 100lines/mm grating mounted about 40mm in front of my ccd chip giving me a resolution of about 11.18 angs/pixel. The fibre types are still available so obviously fine for astro spectroscopy, maybe someone who has one could chip in??.

Regards

Steve

You need some device to couple the FOF at the scopes eyepiece position - the eyepiece is set aside. The static spectroscope needs supporting adjacent to scope. Astro targets are very faint and unlike a lab situation you can't turn-up the brightness button! The scope will have to be mounted to track the stars. Good luck:-/

Thanks for the advice, think starting with a grating is the way to go i had a look at it and could remove the fibre couple from the Acton to get access to the slit and to mount behind the scope though its rather old (aka heavy - mount upgrade required).

Archived