Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Webcam advise

hobsey

My father inlaw has just recently purchased a Celestron NexStar 127 SLT. Does anyone know of a webcam that can screw directly on to the eyepiece? I know there are cheaper ways of doing it but he wants something that is secure and wont fall of due to being disabled and doesn't want to keep trying to pick it up off the floor if it falls off. Many thanks in advance.

Hi hobsey,

Look out for Phillips Toucam Pro 840* or SPC900, they are highly recommeded. Some SGL members are using XBOX webcams too with good results.

Anyway back to the question. To attach a webcam to a telescope he/you will need a nosepiece adaptor (Mogg adaptor). Depending on what Mogg adaptor you use will depend on what webcam you use. The reason is that when you unscrew and remove the webcam lens you then screw Mogg adaptor in place. The length of thread on the adaptor can vary, so make sure you get one that is compatable for your webcam. The webcam and adaptor then fits in where the eyepiece goes.

A few other things too:-

1. Is the webcam CCD or CMOS? CCD used to be the preferred choice. Modern CMOS chips are/or better than their CMOS predeccesors

2. How is the scope mounted, ie GEM (equatorial), Goto, or alt-az (up-down/left-right)? An equatorial mount is the best option provided it is setup accurately and polar aligned.

3. Does he own a Barlow lens or other (ie TeleVue Powermate or Astro Engineering Imagemate) as you need to get as much of the subject on the chip rather than a 'spot of light' (and stream it at f20 so I have been told!)

4. Asto Engineering make, or used to make, a delrin sleeve that you placed over an eyepiece and attach the webcam the other end so can do 'afocal' imaging. (I have one that I purchased several years ago but yet to try it!)

I don't know much on actual imaging techniques etc but other SGL members will offer advice. I hope this helps as I am planning to do some too with my limited equipment!

* I purchased for £2.99GBP at a local "Cash Convertors" store last year.

That's great, thank you very much. I'm hearing he wants a webcam from the otherhalf but I'm pretty sure he can hook this scope up directly to a laptop/computer so I think it maybe a case of popping round there and having a look myself. Thanks again.

Archived