NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HELP!! What Scope to Choose

Hi All,

I need help :) I am about to purchase a new scope I recently had a Celestron 127EQ which got me hooked but now I want to look at doing more astrophotography so want to upgrade. I have a budget of around £600. So far the 3 scopes I have looked at are:

1, SkyWatcher 150P SynScan Goto (EQ3)

2, SkyWatcher 127 Goto or EQ3 Mount

3, Celestron 5SE

Any advise will be greatly appriciated as my head is ready to pop with confusion.

If it's astrophotography you think you're intending to do then the normal advice is to think about your mount first and foremost. You'll have some decent change from £600 if you can source a 2nd hand HEQ5 mount (widely considered to be the minimum requirement, although others do well with less). Read the book 'Making Every Photon Count', available from FLO, it'll save you a fortune in the long run, and astrophotography can be a bit on the expensive side.

Yes, +1 for the book. and If it's ap you wanting to do them I'd seriously advise against an eq3. I'm not saying it's impossible, but apart from webcam imaging of the moon/planets it'll be close :(.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but i'd hate to spend good money only to find out i'd made the wrong purchase. If it were me (and it's not) I'd be looking at spending most (if not all) of that budget on a mount. and use or existing scope (although i'm not sure how suitable it is) until you can afford a new one. good luck with your search......it's a minefield so get that book ;)

Sorry, as for your choices...

1. I've heard that this scope has trouble reaching focus with a dslr (not sure about a ccd)

2. If this is the mak it has an f/ratio of f/11+ (i think) and as such would be suited to planets/lunar but not deep space (fast f/stop for this, lowest number best)

3. this choice is an alt/az which is wrong for dso's you'll be wanting an eq for this.

Of course if planetary/lunar is all that you intend to image then forget what i've said.

It's a minefield..........have I said get the book? :D

+1 the book

+1 HEQ5

127 Mak only for planetary work with a webcam and 2-3x Barlow

Newtonians often don't achieve focus with CCD/webcam/DSLR. Options: buy the pds version or move up the primary mirror by an inch (see my posts on that topic - easily done!)

750£ new HEQ5

50£ - 80£ used Newtonian

20£ SPC900 webcam for planetary work (colour)

200£ used Canon DSLR for LX imaging

100£ adapters and cables and stuff

Don't:

Alt/Az or fork mount

Cheap mount

Expensive scope (later maybe)

The way to spend is: mount, camera, scope.

And, have 2 scopes - one planetary long focal length (high focal ratio) and one short tube with a wide field of view, short focal length and a focal ratio of about 6.

You can't just say purchased. :smiley: .. Unless it is for 'making every photon coun't! ...This will save you your hard earned cash in the long term. Also if you have not done so it would be worth going along to a local astro to see what other folk have.

Good Luck.

I checked Amazon for "Making Every Photon Count" and could not find it?

Is that possible??!!

:shocked:

Oh yes, it is absolutely possible!! 'Making Every Photon Count' is a very small scale and personal venture and I like to keep full control of it which makes Amazon unappealing to me - what other book goes out with a personal letter from the author? :grin: :grin:

Archived