Collimation question

Hey guys,

So my laser collimator just came in and I was trying to get the process started for the first time when I realized that there is no center marker on my primary mirror. Is there a simple way to find/mark the center point without screwing up my primary mirror?

Unfortunately, the only way to mark it is to unscrew the back of your scope. It's not really that bad. I unscrewed, 3 screws on my scope and center marked the mirror with a loose leaf "donut". Go to www.garyseronik.com/?q=node/168. Hopefully his instructions will help you. Be careful and all should go smoothly. Clear skies.

I got a couple of donut stickies with the laser collimator that I was going to use if it came to this, after I collimate do I have to take the donut off or can I leave it on for viewing?

It's under the shadow of the secondary mirror so it doesn't matter whether it's there or not.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a couple of donut stickies with the laser collimator that I was going to use if it came to this, after I collimate do I have to take the donut off or can I leave it on for viewing?

To remove the donut after collimating would entail taking out the primary mirror, so you'd have to recollimate after replacing the mirror............back to square one :smiley:

As already said, the donut is hidden in the shadow of the secondary, so cannot affect the view.

Regards, Ed.

Point your scope right up at the sky pointing at zenith, wait for a bird to fly over. If you are lucky enough the bird will drop one an produce a nice white splodge where you want it, seeing it will be in the shadow of the secondary as already said, nothing to worry about, no mirror to remove or anything.

Sorry couldn't resist. I did wonder if that would happen one day, last night I was looking up pretty close to zenith for some time and that thought crossed my mind, it could happen one day :D

Disclaimer: Of course ignore this useless bit of advice :evil:

Archived