Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A rollercoaster of a night (and a day)

Superdavo

Hi everyone!

I have just recently downloaded a free android app called Astro Panel, and it predicted that last night would be clear - and it was right!

After coming home from Alton Towers, I could already see that it was quite clear. When it began to darken, I got my equipment all set up.

My initial plan was to use this chance to test this 'scope with photography, as it was my second time using it, but as it was still light, I began some visual observations. I quite quickly found the Dumbbell and M13, before I decided to look for some new things.

I first went for an object which I'd been interested in for a bit, as it was easily in my reach, but on my last outing, it somehow eluded me. This time, however, I quickly spotted it, as a small ball of light, with the slightest hints of graininess. After that, I found another new object - M92, which was, to me, basically as beautiful as M13, just a little smaller in diameter. I then went on to Andromeda, and found M32, again, for the first time. I then wanted to do some astrophotography, but the usual way in which I fitted the camera to the scope, with my T-mount adaptor and top half of a Barlow lens, didn't seem to work. I don't think it's the proper way, so if anyone can help me with the actual proper way, please do!

Anyways, after giving up on that, I looked for open clusters in cassiopeia, trying to find M103, but I can't confirm that I saw it. However, I did see a bright knot of stars, which may have been it.

After that, perhaps because of the motion sickness caused by the day's rollercoasters, and tiredness (it was 10:40), I began to feel very ill, and had to pack up quick. Fortunately, when I woke up today, I was fine.

Overall, it's certainly been a mixed night!

David

Archived