NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Giro mounts...what do you think of them?

emadmoussa

On my Giro Mini the shaft which holds the dovetail adapter can be easily removed from the mount. The adapter that hold the dovetail adapter is held in place on the shaft by a single grub screw (2 screws on the adapter on the larger Giro models). On a single-sided mount the shaft is held in place on the opposite side by a stainess steel shaft collar. These are a normal commercial component.

Either a 20mm diameter counterweight shaft or any piece of stainless 20mm diameter round bar can be inserted into the mount. Using a 2nd shaft collar ( I bought one from an Amazon seller), so that there is one on either side of the mount, the length of shaft on either side of the mount can be adjusted so as to balance the load.

You can see, I think, on the teleoptic website, use of a mini-Giro in EQ mode, using a counterweight, one of their wedges and an astrotrac.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On my Giro Mini the shaft which holds the dovetail adapter can be easily removed from the mount. The adapter that hold the dovetail adapter is held in place on the shaft by a single grub screw (2 screws on the adapter on the larger Giro models). On a single-sided mount the shaft is held in place on the opposite side by a stainess steel shaft collar. These are a normal commercial component.

Either a 20mm diameter counterweight shaft or any piece of stainless 20mm diameter round bar can be inserted into the mount. Using a 2nd shaft collar ( I bought one from an Amazon seller), so that there is one on either side of the mount, the length of shaft on either side of the mount can be adjusted so as to balance the load.

You can see, I think, on the teleoptic website, use of a mini-Giro in EQ mode, using a counterweight, one of their wedges and an astrotrac.

Trying to avoid the hassle I just went ahead and got the giro vixen-counterweight shaft thingy fromTeleskope service in Germany and also I had to order the pillar extension from the US...relieved I have done that. Nothing more I hate than receiving an item then realizing I need some accessories to meet my needs.

Anyway, I will post a review once all the components have arrived.

Out of curiosity, has anybody bought anything from OptCorp in US?

• 8 months later...

Archived