NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Making heated eyepiece case

athornett

I can highly recommend this one - I tihnk they should put it in Sky at Night mag as so easy to do and so effective - stops eyepeices fogging and can keep your green laser pointers cosy and warm between use - so batteries work!

The project involves using one of those heating pads used in vivariums at bottom of the case to heat the eyepieces (£10 or so). They come in 240 V versions - at least I haven't found 12 V versions but if anyone knows of anyone please let me know - so you need an inverter from Maplins (£25).

http://www.atm.me.uk/html/andy-s_heated_eyepiece_case_2012.html

Andy

I can highly recommend this one - I tihnk they should put it in Sky at Night mag as so easy to do and so effective - stops eyepeices fogging and can keep your green laser pointers cosy and warm between use - so batteries work!

The project involves using one of those heating pads used in vivariums at bottom of the case to heat the eyepieces (£10 or so). They come in 240 V versions - at least I haven't found 12 V versions but if anyone knows of anyone please let me know - so you need an inverter from Maplins (£25).

http://www.atm.me.uk..._case_2012.html

Andy

Hi Andy,

Nice eyepiece case. :smiley:

Can you tell us what the output wattage is of the heater element you used.?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mike,

That is a good question -they come in different strengths as you are clearly aware but I wasn't when I bought it!! Turns out mine is 13W which seems to work well - a lower wattage might work well too - important as mine does tend to flatten a 12V battery - especially as I have discovered that the efficiency rate of a Maplin inverter is only about 10%!

Andy

Archived