Phillips webcam resolution issues

I'm not sure if this is just me being terrible at planetary imaging, (which I probably am anyway.) But do any other imagers using a Phillips SPC900NC camera have huge resolution problems, it is fine normal size but if I want to make it slightly bigger than the tiny size that the images are, the resolution just disappears and you cant see anything. I am running with Sharpcap software for WIN7. Any ideas on how to increase the resolution above 640x480?

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do here. Why do you think you can get a higher resolution than 640x480? Given that it's USB1.1 only, even 640x460 is compressed at 10fps. You really don't want it any worse.

James

Hi, Thats all the resolution the SPC900 has with astro capture software. To increase the size of the subject you are imaging you'll need to use a barlow.

For planetary imaging with my setup I use a 3x barlow sometimes with an extension piece to increase to distance between webcam and barlow, this effectivly gives the barlow a higher 'magnification factor' and increases image scale.

Archived