Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Modified 1100D vs 60D

mrflib

I'm going to be buying a modified camera (well, it's a present from the missus actually) and I wondered if anyone can give me any reason to spend double on the 60D.

I've seen some cracking pics on Astrobin with the 1100D:

http://www.astrobin.com/50278/

http://www.astrobin.com/30069/E/

http://www.astrobin.com/25756/

But I've read in a few places the the 60D is right up there for quality. Can anyone tell me why this is? Specifically, what's different for our purposes?

Cheers!

The 60D is indeed right up there, but I doubt you would tell the difference between the two cameras, there is someone tweaking the 1100D's on astrobuyandsell, apparently with a good reputation..

The secret to DSLR is fast scope and a lot of subs... when you think you have taken alot take more :D

Dark site and NO MOON!

The 60D is indeed right up there, but I doubt you would tell the difference between the two cameras, there is someone tweaking the 1100D's on astrobuyandsell, apparently with a good reputation..

The secret to DSLR is fast scope and a lot of subs... when you think you have taken alot take more :D

Dark site and NO MOON!

The cold helps as well.

Note that these are all very bright objects and that the F ratios used are F4, F5 and unspecified. That's to say fast. Two are certainly winter objects in the northern hemisphere, ie cold. So fast and cold. Don't expect this kind of result from a warm DSLR in a slower scope. Can't tempt you towards CCD?? :evil:

Olly

Note that these are all very bright objects and that the F ratios used are F4, F5 and unspecified. That's to say fast. Two are certainly winter objects in the northern hemisphere, ie cold. So fast and cold. Don't expect this kind of result from a warm DSLR in a slower scope. Can't tempt you towards CCD?? :evil:

Olly

Olly, have typed and deleted my credit card number on a retailer's site twice now, nearly buying an Atik 383. New baby, house and wife means that I would likely be murdered. A £300 modded DSLR is a reasonable stop gap! With a 0.79 reducer and drilling a hole in tthe freezer door to fit the dslr and dragging it to the garden i'll get -15C and F5.5!

When I come to take the plunge I will be in touch with your permission - you are the Atik man.

Olly, have typed and deleted my credit card number on a retailer's site twice now, nearly buying an Atik 383. New baby, house and wife means that I would likely be murdered. A £300 modded DSLR is a reasonable stop gap! With a 0.79 reducer and drilling a hole in tthe freezer door to fit the dslr and dragging it to the garden i'll get -15C and F5.5!

When I come to take the plunge I will be in touch with your permission - you are the Atik man.

Could you stretch to a cooled OSC CCD? I'm looking to get a QHY8L (£900) which seems quite well priced for the size of sensor you get (same size as the 1100D). It's pretty much the same sensor you would get in a DSLR but with set point cooling. For me, this is a good compromise on price between a DSLR and going down the mono CCD route (this is the ultimate goal!).

I could possibly, yes, but to be honest I really want to go mono which means filters etc. Much more expensive. I will learn my trade on the DSLR and then move to CCD.

I learned my trade on a small chip mono CCD. No regrets. None at all.

Olly

Archived