NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Newbie needs help

Hi

I know this is going to sound stupid I have just purchased my first ever telescope its a sky watcher 127 goto lovely telescope the only thing is I can't see anything out of it :smiley: and yes have taken all lens caps off and tried all different lenses but still no joy all I get is a white fuzz took it out side but nothing tried focusing but nothing I know I must be thick and am doing something wrong but can someone help otherwise the telescope maybe going out the window lol :smiley:

many thanks

alan

You are not alone! I got my first scope Feb 2012, and it took until July the same year to work out how to use it! I actually got to grips with it properly the day I found this forum so you've already taken step 1 to getting sorted.

I don't know anything about your scope, so can't really help that much, but I'm sure others will be along who do know about it that will be able to give you some advice.

You won't be able to see anything inside with it... They are meant for distance, so I'd only practice outside. It's also useful to start off during the day. Get set up and then try to slew the scope to a distant object (a streetlight or a chimney are great to start with) to get it in the eyepiece. Then try to to focus using the lowest powered eyepiece you have (which will be the highest number i.e. 25 = low power, 9 = high power). Once you have the object focused, try again with a higher powered eyepiece. This practice is basically what you do when looking for objects at night so is very useful to get to grips with.

Once you have the objects focused, you can then align the finder scope so that it too shows the same object that appears in the EP. Doing this is essential as if the two are not aligned properly, you are never going to be able to find things effectively in the night sky.

You haven't given much info in terms of the steps you are taking, so apologies if you have tried everything above. If you could list the steps you are having, it may make it easier for someone to give you pointers as to where you are going wrong.

Hope this helps, if only a little!

Without further info, I agree with Imp, retry the focusing. If you've never used a telescope before, it surprises how easy it is to be out of focus, it doesn't take much and you won't see anything. Also if you're taking it out in the day, don't bother pointing it at the sky, you will only see white, point at a solid object in the distance with a low pwered eyepiece and travel slowly through the full focus range

Set it up outside and point it at a far away object, use the 25mm EP and aim lower than the object as this should then show something other than just white light, move focusor out and you should start to get a image, make sure the right angle diagonal is used,,,,,

I recently took delivery of the same scope and must admit that it is a tricky one to find focus with the first time you use it.

Firstly, make sure the diagonal is fitted, this bit of extra length is important in finding focus.

Also, don't be shy with the focus knob, it takes a surprisingly large number of turns to wind it fully in or out, wind it all the way in one direction until it stops, then attach the 25mm eyepiece, point it at a distant terrestrial object and wind the focus back the other way whilst looking into the eyepiece, eventually you'll notice the image becoming sharper as you approach focus.

Let us know how you get on.

If it is the 127 Mak then the field of view is narrow.

Best I can suggest is to fit the longest eyepiece you have, most likely 25 mm.

Next is aim at something you shouldn't be able to miss - I would suggest the centre of Cassiopeia.

This is because Cassiopeia lies in the Milky Way.

Then SLOWLY adjust the focus while looking through the eyepiece.

The expectation is that at some position the stars of the milky way will become apparent in the view.

Will say (and it is not there at present) even the moon is small and I doubt that you will be able to aim the scope at that accurately enough to get it in view.

Also during the day set the finder up with the main scope.

Really it will at first come down to getting information and advice and basiically playing. :grin: :grin: :eek:

Hi

Thanks to everyone for all your Help managed to get it in focus, as it was suggested you have to turn the focus knob along way, all working fine now ,waiting for a clear night :smiley:

will keep you posted how I get on once again thanks to you all

Alan

Archived