telescope advice for my obsy

Being new to this forum I'd like some advice on what telescope would be best for my observatory. I'm interested in visual and doing some imaging as well. I have an 8" sct and the obsy will take up to a 14". I'm thinking of an 11" Edgehd or maybe a 9.25 but also I've been thinking about upgrading my 8" with a hyperstar conversion to make shorter exposure images. If I go for this presumably I wouldn't need a beefy mount (thinking of the EQ8 when it comes out) but I'd probably also like a small refractor on it. So basically I'm confused about the options and any advice would be welcome, thanks in advance. Mal

welcome to sgl;

what is your budget and experience level?

generally the mount would be your most important purchase as it is from here that you can choose any scope combination, derive all stability, tracking etc etc; we only know what has been said about the EQ8 form other countries, but i think most would consider this to be a fairly beefy mount at 50Kg capacity (work on roughly half to two thirds for imaging); there are others around which are excellent. i would say that any of the scopes you mention, or any combination, this would be a comfortable bet (don't forget to include the weight of accessories in your calculations).

I personally didn't see a lot of difference from an 8 to a 9.25" sct but there was a noticeable difference from 8 to 11" (some consider the 9.25 to be the sweet spot of the range?

is the refractor you mention to be a guide scope or a second visual scope; either way you will need some way of connecting the two to each other (and the mount) such as a dual mounting bar http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-guidescope-rings-and-systems/adm-losmandy-style-dual-mounting-bar.html or possibly a minidovetail system; I use an entirely ADM system which although expensive is very solid;

i don't know much about hyperstar imaging; there is definately a short time frame for subs at f2 but i believe it is also difficult to catch focus due to the very high angle of light bending and collimation must be spot on. most people start with a seperate guidescope combo and learn from there and going this way would leave you plenty change from a hyperstar setup

Thanks for your replies. KBO many thanks for your input, plenty to think about. I'm not too experienced especially as far as imaging is concerned. I think I'm trying to run before I can walk really, it's just that I will be lucky enough to have a nice observatory to put things in and think (perhaps wrongly) I should put the best/biggest telescope in it! I will have a budget of (I'm hoping) £5K with which I want to get a decent mount/telescope combination and a refractor for viewing/imaging but I could buy some used equipment to save money. I have a W/O ZS66 already which I'm thinking will be used as a guidescope or for widefield imaging. It's basically a question of getting the right combination of scopes for my needs. I'd like to see more detail in DSO's than my 8" sct can provide but I'm also into the planets. I've also thought about a reflector/refractor combination but I'm used to the sct so wouldn't mind an 11"edgehd or the standard one. I like the idea of the dual mount, do you think it would work in the observatory through the shutter? As far as imaging goes, I'll probably go for dslr (modded) work although I have an old Starlight Xpress mx516 ccd and I'm not sure I could go for the bigger chip ones due to the cost. Well sorry for going on, just wanted to get everything across. Mal

we all try to sprint before we can walk - in my case i am still barely crawling ;-). If you are like me and like both visual and imaging, then perhaps two scopes is a good idea - there are many many threads on the merits of refractors, reflectors and sct and everything else; all you can do is try them and see what suits. I prefer refractors, mostly; but there is no doubt that you get a lot more aperture for your £ with reflectors/dob.

Knowing now what I wish i knew a few years ago, I would start modest and build small fast system to learn on and for £5k you could get yourself a very good setup indeed. I wouldn't have any qualms about buying second hand; the vast majority of the kit bought second hand is as-new anyway and when/if you decide to sell/upgrade you won't lose that much £ especially if you buy quality. In fact there is a nice system on ABS at the moment - http://astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=72233 - i have nothing to do with the sale, but just a demonstration as to what might be available to you; this system is bolted together without a dual mount bar so removes a dome gap problem for you.

If it were me, I would be looking at recognised brand with a fast (low f number), shorter focal length refractor, around 80mm aperture on which to learn; not that I have one but the http://www.altairastro.com/product.php?productid=16493&cat=270&page=1 gets very good reviews and would be ideal; this market is quite crowded - i started with a Meade 5000 80mm ED APO which i still have as it is pretty good. From an imaging pov, you will find it so much easier with PA, tracking and balance etc and when starting you want easy wins to keep you encouraged and progressing.

I have an Edge 11 and do like it, but unless second hand, that will blow a large part of your budget. I mainly use it for visual and is probably overkill, a standard C11 would suffice. I would look at SGL member 12dstring's excellent online field of view calculator - http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm although he is writing a v2 http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fovcalc.php where you can play with multiple combinations of scopes, cameras and eyepieces and see if this meets your needs.

Whatever you decide, make sure you do your research, read reviews good and bad, and enjoy it. There is not likely to be a question you have that hasn't been asked here already :grin:

If you are after a SC telescope, a C11 is a good compromise with regard to size, value for money and not needing a too massive mount. In my experience the optics are of very good quality. I am biased in the sense I have one, but this was after going through a similiar decission making process you are going through. (and using many other size SCs over the years) I bought mine used and paid £850 which is a fair price for a used one in good condition.

KBO thanks again for your advice, really appreciated.

I think that system on ABS is really good but I feel it might be too oriented towards imaging for me and would take the bulk of my budget.

Your suggestion of a modest fast refractor for imaging would get some decent results and a larger sct for visual would perhaps be my best bet.

I also have to think about a mount and not sure whether to go perhaps overkill with the EQ8 or go for something like the NEQ6. Then there are the accessories:- eyepieces, apart from a pentax XW10 my others are of the cheaper variety so it would be nice to invest in some quality ones which all adds to the budget of course.

paulastro thanks for your input. I'm heading towards a C11 I think as it will give me more aperture for fainter objects and good for planets as well. I'm tempted to buy used equipment too.

If I were you with your kind of budget, with my hind sight now, I would have spent more money and go with the EQ8. Use the time between now and when it comes to the market to keep saving to help off set the cost increase of the mount. But the mount REALLY is the most important piece. More so for imaging than visual but unless your going to have 2 mounts, one for imaging and one for viewing, you will want the EQ8. Especially if you ever try to imagin with the C11 Edge or upgrade from a small refractor or try and go for longer subs lengths (15min or 30min). Yes guiding can get you those sub lengths but the mount really makes it easier to achieve.

Thanks for the advice nmoushon. I've had my sights on the EQ8 ever since I saw it was coming out at a good price and I kind of thought it would be better to get the right mount from the off. I could then use the rest of my budget to get a good used sct and refractor, unless anyone has any better ideas... Mal

Don't forget to budget it all the nic-nac things like EP and reducer/flatteners, correctors, guide cam and guide scope/finder, coffee pot, ect. I forgot to do all that at the beginning and had to wait to save up more to get my R/FF all the while have my setup tease me that I have it but couldnt use it properly.

Archived