Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Planetary camera for guiding?

Andrew*

Technical none. Practical - it doesn't has ST4 so you would have to use RS232-Computer connection to guide. Also it's not that easy to use Chameleon in PHD (you have to play with extra FlyCap 1.X installation to get WDM driver for it).

Cool, thank you! The mount would anyway be computer controlled so I don't think that's a major issue, but are there ST4-equipped cameras that do a decent job at planetary. I'd rather not buy two you see!

Sorry, what is a WDM driver?

WDM is a type of windows generic drivers for cameras. PHD can use it to get image from cameras and guide. There are newer ASI with ST4 or QHY IMG0H but I don't know if I would use those. The ASI should work best of the two (but no cooling if you would want it).

I've used a QHY5v as a guide camera - both using the ST4 and pulse guide, and I now use my DMK21AU618 - both have always worked a treat. So subject to what Rik has said about WDM, I'd say that provided you're using a guide scope rather than an OAG you'll be fine.

I've used a QHY5v as a guide camera - both using the ST4 and pulse guide, and I now use my DMK21AU618 - both have always worked a treat. So subject to what Rik has said about WDM, I'd say that provided you're using a guide scope rather than an OAG you'll be fine.

Hi Steve, sorry for being thick, but what's wrong with using an OAG? Is it the size?

Hi Andrew

I didn't mean to imply that there's anything wrong using an OAG - it's just that I've been told by very well known and reputable supplier that an OAG really needs a dedicated sensitive guide camera and a "normal" planetary camera might struggle to find a guide star.

I've never tried an OAG - it's just that I know the cameras that I've used work very well with a separate guide scope (I use a William Optic ZS70).

Also I've just remembered that I also used an unmodded SP900NC webcam as a guide cam for a while, so almost any webcam / planetary camera will work.

Hi Andrew

I didn't mean to imply that there's anything wrong using an OAG - it's just that I've been told by very well known and reputable supplier that an OAG really needs a dedicated sensitive guide camera and a "normal" planetary camera might struggle to find a guide star.

I've never tried an OAG - it's just that I know the cameras that I've used work very well with a separate guide scope (I use a William Optic ZS70).

Also I've just remembered that I also used an unmodded SP900NC webcam as a guide cam for a while, so almost any webcam / planetary camera will work.

That's a relief, thanks.

I have done OAG before with an Atik 2HS, a mono CCD with probably similar sensitivity to the 445 chip. I didn't have any issues finding a guidestar in the Orion region with an f/7.5 scope. A lot depends on the focal ratio of the scope.

Archived