Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rocking Horse Cluster

TractionMan

Had a pretty good night last night. Went back to the Rocking Horse Cluster and this time I Went higher with magnification. And... This time the pattenr that's given the cluster its name became clear and obvious to to me. A big thanks to those who pointed out that it needed more magnification on my last observation report.

I'd never heard of this, so Googled and found it to be NGC 6910. Checked my records and found that I observed it in September 2004 with an 8" and wrote, "Small circlet of stars, like chains on a bracelet. More like an asterism than a cluster - about 20 stars." I made a sketch at the time, and now that I look at it, I can certainly see it as a rocking horse. Just before it, I viewed NGC 6866, which I also sketched, and dubbed "arrow head", though my sketch looks rather like a Christmas tree (which is another cluster altogether....). I viewed a number of objects in the area that night, and found the most interesting to be the planetary nebula NGC 7008 (which Google now tells me is nicknamed the Foetus Nebula). My sketch looks nothing like a foetus.

Archived