Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Vanguard 10 x 25 compact bins..bargain I hope.

I picked up a boxed pair in a sale today for A$10 (£7).

With the temporary move to China (in just over 2 weeks) I am not taking any bins or 'scopes mainly due to the rapacious customs people. Does not matter if the kit is used thyey charge an as new duty where they can.....B*S£@ etc etc.

The big bins and scopes are going to the UK where I will be in 6 months time...hopefully.

Another reason for not taking scopes is that Shanghai hardly ever has a clear unpolluted sky, either by light or genuine pollution.

So these are my grab and go for China and when I am traveling inside and outside China.

Anyone used Vanguard compacts at all?

Well G'day ! Sorry :huh:

As you probably know, bins of that spec are not usually recommended for astronomy, but my wife has similar, keeps them in her handbag for birding, they are so small & light, she doesn't have to wonder if it's worth taking them out.

A few years back, we were in north Norfolk (UK) at a dark site. I was using a 10" Dob, she came out to see what I was viewing, it was M33. I described where M33 is. A few minutes later, she said "I think I've found it". She was using the little bins, so I tried them, and M33 was easy to see, a small fuzzy patch.

The point is that although 25mm bins are not normally used for astronomy, they do collect far more light than the unaided eye. The Pleiades were a treat as well.

Just use whatever you have, you could be surprised.

Regards, Ed.

Archived