Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Battle of the wobbles

Took my scope out tonight had a look at orion nebular saturn up to about 315x although the viewing conditions where not up to it. I also had a look at the 7 sisters always an amazing sight.

Well I just set everything up and much no my annoyance there seemed to be allot of play in the mount, well out comes my torch and out goes my night vision along with a few tools, I found a few bolts had worked there way loose. Well I tighten all I can up and carry on viewing. Still alittle wobbly, I take the scope back in take the mount apart and tighten everything that is not meant to be loose. Well it seems much better now but there is still Little play on the RA. Is this normal for a EQ5 mount considering its holding a 1200mm 5inch refractor?

Mark

Yep, thats the right term mate. Have you tightened down all the allen keys in the mount? If in doubt tighten it anyway!

I have a slightly different version of the mount that you have, but the mount will definealty take the scope without trouble.

Gaz

Yep thats what Iv been doing for the last 45min, Its better but not perfect, Out of interest what did you change the tripod with? and where did you get it from ?

When my bank recovers from Xmas I'm thinking of getting a cam for the scope, last thing I want is a case of the wobbles :clouds2:

Mark

Just put the scope back on, gave it a wiggle,  :clouds2: it does seem to be just the tripod flexing  now.  Just goes to show its a good idea to check all your bolts before you take you scope out. I will be getting one of those sky watcher tripods in the new year for sure. Thanks again for the advice gaz

Mark

Archived