Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

1100D camera settings prime focus

Michael1971

Hi guys & galls

I was just wondering about some camera settings and what setting the should be on.

Reason being is that I am shooting some hours of data lately of different object and the colors are not nice and hard to process.

Its for prime focus usage and I am curious how you set them

I know the most settings but some evade me a bit. (I found a bit of info on the net but not much, behind the settings I put the recommended settings I found)

Mine where different but haven't tried these settings yet

These are:

Exposure comp/AEB setting (set at 0)

Whitebalance (auto, or manual when you have a properly calibrated custom image) only affects jpeg not raw afaik

Peripheral illumination (disable)

Auto Lightning Optimizer (off)

Picture Style (faithfull)

If you are willing, post your settings here and I will check them out.

thanks

Mike

All seems ok to me, only one I have set different is picture style set to neutral. If you use the above settings and shoot RAW, you should have a nice neutral image to work with.

I would suggest you turn off all the on-camera long exposure and high ISO noise reduction. If you shoot a proper set of temperature matched darks (which you can shoot on a cloudy night) you don't have to waste clear sky time waiting for auto noise reduction. Red-eye reduction off, flash off, basically everything off.

I always set the white balance to 'sun/daylight' but I don't think it matters really if you are saving in RAW format. You will need to balance the colour in the processing anyway. Same with 'picture style'. I have mine on either natural or portrait but I think it is irrelevant for RAW. No doubt if I'm wrong, a proper photographer will correct me :)

The biggest can of worms is your ISO setting. I use 1600 unless there are really bright stars in the field, when I will drop to 800. I shoot 5-8 min exposures @ f/5 and take plenty of them. A lot of people will say you are better off at ISO400 but I find the processing easier starting high and I don't find that it burns out the colour much either (I think this down to processing rather than capture).

Hi Rik,

I guess 1600 ISO is doable if shooting lots of images. Do you have an average of the number of shots you take? I usually do 20/25

I noticed more noise at 1600. but its worth a try :)

I use always 800 and 400 on bright objects before its really dark. Yes, I turned of noise, flash etc but the other I could not figure out really.

(if these settings affect the raw images or not)

thanks for your input :)

The images I was happiest with used 35+ subs.

I found that using ISO1600 I didn't have to stretch so hard, so I could control the noise more easily. Starting with an ISO400 image you have to lift it much harder to get the same brightness and I struggle to suppress noise that has been stretched. The long and short of it is that it doesn't really matter and you should use whatever works best for you.

Archived